Oregon thumps UC Irvine, moves to 10-0Dec 18, 2013 - 6:40 AM Eugene, OR (SportsNetwork.com) - Joseph Young shot 7-of-10 from the field for 18 points as the 13th-ranked Oregon Ducks stayed unbeaten with a 91-63 rout of UC Irvine in a non-conference bout from Matthew Knight Arena.
Mike Moser and Damyean Dotson contributed 15 and 14 points, respectively, as the Ducks (10-0) welcomed sophomores Dominic Artis and Ben Carter back to the lineup after the pair served nine-game suspensions to start the season. Artis had five points and eight rebounds while Carter scored four.
"Ben is a pretty mature player. Defensively he gets it, and I really think that helped us out today," said Moser. "And so did Dominic. He rebounded the ball tremendously."
Jason Calliste scored 10 points for Oregon, which shot 12-of-19 as a team from behind the arc. Oregon is one of just 13 undefeated teams in the nation.
"Our energy for almost the entire game was really good," said Oregon head coach Dana Altman. "I thought all the guys did a good job moving the ball."
Will Davis II netted a game-high 20 points in the setback, while Luke Nelson tallied 13 points, six assists and five rebounds. Chris McNealy scored 14 for UC Irvine (6-6), which has lost three of four.
Mamadou Ndiaye, the 7-foot-6 freshman from Senegal, went for seven points with seven boards and four blocked shots for the Anteaters.
Davis scored five points before the media timeout to keep Irvine close, 9-8, but Moser and Young made triples on the front and back end of a 13-2 run that had the Ducks in front by 16, 28-12, with nine minutes left in the first half.
Oregon finished the half on a 7-0 run to take a 48-29 lead into the locker rooms.
The Ducks won the second half, 43-34, as they cruised to a convincing victory.
Oregon's bench outscored the Irvine reserves, 38-3 ... The Ducks had 13 steals as a team to just two for the Anteaters ... Oregon looks to extend its winning streak to 11 games when it hosts BYU on Saturday.
- Altman on Coach K: 'I had no problem with what he did' Apr 1
- Coach K apologizes to Altman for postgame chat with Brooks Mar 26
- Altman backs Brooks after late-game drama with Coach K Mar 26
- Oklahoma's Kruger, Oregon's Altman test bond in Elite Eight Mar 25
- Oregon takes the national stage against defending champ Duke Mar 23
- Versatility a key as top-seed Oregon faces St. Joseph's Mar 19
- Tyler Dorsey a catalyst to Oregon's surge for No. 1 seed Mar 17
- Oregon's rise on national stage highlighted by top seed Mar 15
- Power outage briefly cuts lights at Oregon-USC game Mar 5
- Oregon breaks into top 10, highest ranking since '07 Feb 29
- Former Oregon player accused of rape sues university Oct 30
- Oregon Preview-Capsule Oct 28