No. 14 Wichita State uses big second half to beat TulsaNov 21, 2013 - 5:29 AM Tulsa, OK (SportsNetwork.com) - Fred VanVleet and Ron Baker led the way with 21 points apiece as the No. 14 Wichita State Shockers defeated the Tulsa Golden Hurricane, 77-54, on Wednesday night.
Cleanthony Early contributed 12 points and nine rebounds, while Chadrack Lufile pulled down a game-high 10 boards as Wichita State (5-0) continued its winning ways in its first road game of the season.
"We're accepting the challenge and just trying to stay in hunting mode. We're just trying to stay in hunting mode and not be the one getting hunted," said VanVleet on his team's attitude.
Pat Swilling Jr. led Tulsa (0-3) with 12 points and James Woodard added eight points with nine rebounds as Tulsa's attempt at the upset came up short due to a dominant second half from the Shockers.
"We got beat. We need to get better. There are no moral victories. Moral victories don't make you better. We want to have a second half similar to our first half. That is the message to our guys. We have to continue to fight and get better and execute," said Tulsa head coach Danny Manning.
The two teams were tied at 31 at the break, but Wichita State locked down on defense in the second stanza, outscoring Tulsa, 46-23.
Wichita State went on a 10-0 run midway through the second half. VanVleet made a layup at 8:42 to give Wichita State a 59-48 lead forcing a Tulsa timeout.
The Shockers did not let up. After a Swilling 3-pointer at 5:45, Wichita State went on a 14-1 run to close out the game. Baker drained another shot from beyond the arc to increase the lead to 18 points with four minutes remaining.
With Wichita State leading early on, Rashad Ray found D'Andre Wright for an alley-oop to cut the Shockers lead to 8-7 at the 15:35 mark of the first.
Evan Wessel tied the game at 29 with 1:03 remaining in the first half and the Shockers went ahead with a jump shot from VanVleet, but Ray tied the game on a layup with five seconds to go in the half.
Tulsa has lost its last 21 regular-season games against ranked teams since an 88-68 win at then-No. 11 Tennessee on Dec. 23, 1999 ... Wichita State leads the series 63-60.
- WICHITA STATE: 77
Nov 20 10:16 PM
- WICHITA STATE: 31
Nov 20 9:03 PM
- WICHITA STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 20 8:06 PM
- Ex-Georgia coach Dennis Felton looking for another chance Apr 1
- Wichita State Shockers face Miami, ready to keep on shocking Mar 18
- Wichita State ready to keep rolling, faces Arizona Mar 16
- Michigan's last-second shots set up First Four vs Tulsa Mar 16
- Wichita State back healthy, faces Vanderbilt in First Four Mar 15
- No. 22 Wichita St uses balanced scoring to top Loyola 80-54 Jan 28
- New Mexico State, Wichita State to play makeup game Feb. 15 Jan 18
- Winter storm forces New Mexico St-Wichita St postponement Dec 28
- Wichita State says F Grady's back injury improving Nov 28
- Grady hurt in No. 20 Wichita State loss to Alabama Nov 27
- No. 10 Shockers enter season with high expectations again Nov 3
- Marshall staying at Wichita State with new deal Apr 2