Oregon cruises past Morgan StateDec 30, 2013 - 12:25 AM Eugene, OR (SportsNetwork.com) - Joseph Young poured in a game-high 24 points to lead 12th-ranked Oregon to a 97-76 win over Morgan State at Matthew Knight Arena.
Richard Amardi totaled 16 and Damyean Dotson added 15 points for the Ducks (12-0), who open their Pac-12 schedule at Utah on Jan. 2. Jason Calliste also netted 10 points.
"We did better on the boards today but needed to cut the turnovers," said Young. "We need to be better at all parts."
Justin Black had 22 and Anthony Hubbard scored 15 points for Morgan State (3-9), which has lost two straight. Ian Chiles contributed with 13 points.
"They are really good, there's a reason they are undefeated," said Morgan State head coach Todd Bozeman. "Dana (Altman) does a good job with the guys. They just keep coming at you. They can sub in five guys and there's not that big of a drop off."
Morgan State scored the first four points of the game before Oregon went on a 16-1 burst. The Bears scored the next six points, as they halted the Oregon surge, but trailed 16-10 with 5:57 into the contest.
The teams traded baskets for the next seven-plus minutes. The Ducks began a 20-6 tear with 5:32 left to close out the first half and remain ahead, 54-30.
Under a minute into the second half the Bears went on a 10-2 run.
"Second half we got sloppy, trying to play a lot of guys, trying to get a lot of guys ready," said Oregon head coach Dana Altman. "We came out real energetic, up 24 at half we just got sloppy."
The teams went back and forth the rest of the way and Morgan State did not come closer than 19 points.
Oregon has won 24 straight home games against non-conference foes ... Morgan State will play University of California Irvine on Thursday ... Oregon went 34-for-63 from the field, while the Bears went 25-for-57 ... The Ducks outrebounded the Bears 42-26.
- Altman on Coach K: 'I had no problem with what he did' Apr 1
- Coach K apologizes to Altman for postgame chat with Brooks Mar 26
- Altman backs Brooks after late-game drama with Coach K Mar 26
- Oklahoma's Kruger, Oregon's Altman test bond in Elite Eight Mar 25
- Oregon takes the national stage against defending champ Duke Mar 23
- Versatility a key as top-seed Oregon faces St. Joseph's Mar 19
- Tyler Dorsey a catalyst to Oregon's surge for No. 1 seed Mar 17
- Oregon's rise on national stage highlighted by top seed Mar 15
- Power outage briefly cuts lights at Oregon-USC game Mar 5
- Oregon breaks into top 10, highest ranking since '07 Feb 29
- Former Oregon player accused of rape sues university Oct 30
- Oregon Preview-Capsule Oct 28