Florida thumps Savannah StateDec 30, 2013 - 2:46 AM Gainesville, FL (SportsNetwork.com) - Patric Young scored a game-high 15 points and eclipsed the 1,000-point mark for his career as No. 13 Florida slammed Savannah State, 76-34, at O'Connell Center
Michael Frazier II scored 11 points while Casey Prather and Scottie Wilbekin each chipped in with 10 as the Gators (10-2) ran their home winning streak to 22 games by making 49 percent of their shots.
Young became th 50th Gators player to score 1,000-plus points in his career.
"Patric's been a real team guy ever since he's been here," Florida coach Billy Donovan said. "He's very unselfish."
Savannah State (2-11) shot a grotesque 25 percent from the field in losing its ninth straight game. Jyles Smith was the team's leading scorer with eight points.
The Tigers committed five of their 20 turnovers in a five-minute span early in the first half, and the Gators feasted on the mistakes with 12 consecutive points to take a big early lead.
Florida went ahead, 30-7, on a Young drunk following another Savannah State giveaway with just under four minutes left in the half, and the Gators took a healthy 34-11 cushion into the break.
It was more of the same in the second half as the Gators easily coasted to the finish line.
The Gators are 25-0 all-time against teams currently in the MEAC ... Deven Williams, Savannah State's leading scorer coming in, was limited to seven points -- five below his season average ... Florida wraps up its non- conference schedule against Richmond on Jan. 4.
- Virginia Tech guard Jalen Hudson transfers to Florida May 16
- Florida guard Francis-Ramirez transferring after 2 seasons May 4
- Florida's Devin Robinson out 4-6 months after foot surgery Apr 21
- Florida guard Walker plans to transfer after graduation Mar 28
- Florida's Egbunu to have season-ending thumb surgery Mar 15
- Florida's Egbunu uncertain to play against UNF in NIT Mar 14
- Florida C Egbunu tears thumb ligament before SEC Tournament Mar 9
- Florida trying to rebuild NCAA resume at SEC Tournament Mar 7
- February freefall leaves Florida in need of Kentucky win Feb 29
- With road stretch looming, Florida needs to win at home Feb 8
- Florida likely without starter Justin Leon vs No. 9 WVU Jan 29
- Florida takes pressure off Finney-Smith to be more vocal Jan 18