Florida shuts down Fresno StateDec 22, 2013 - 3:29 AM Sunrise, FL (SportsNetwork.com) - Casey Prather scored 16 points as No. 16 Florida stymied the Fresno State Bulldogs with a 66-49 win as part of the Orange Bowl Classic.
The Gators (9-2) held Fresno State to 32 percent shooting and outrebounded their counterparts 47-24.
Scottie Wilbekin scored 11 points, while Will Yeguete added nine points and 10 rebounds. Patric Young came off the bench and donated eight points and nine boards in Florida's third straight victory.
Cezar Guerrero paced the Bulldogs (6-6) with 17 points, while Marvelle Harris and Paul Watson added 10 apiece in the setback, their third straight defeat.
"We take a lot of pride when holding a team to 40 points," said Young. "Us being able to make them take bad shots and not knock them in is great for our team."
Fresno State led 6-4 early on before Florida went on a 9-0 run. Kasey Hill capped the run with a 3-pointer with just over 12 minutes left in the first.
The Bulldogs, however, clawed their way back into the game later in the half. Guerrero lobbed a pass up to Karachi Edo, who finished the alley-oop and helped Fresno State pull within three, 19-16, with 3:21 left.
Florida held a 23-19 advantage at intermission.
The first half was an offensive struggle for both teams, for Florida especially, as the Gators managed only one 3-pointer out of 13 attempts.
Prather made two layups around a Michael Frazier II triple as Florida jumped out of the break with seven straight points.
The Gators maintained a comfortable double-digit lead for the rest of the game and pushed the advantage to 55-35 after Yeguete tipped in a Prather miss.
Dorian Finney-Smith's jumper gave Florida its largest lead of the day, 65-39, with 2:45 left in the game and the Gators cruised as head coach Billy Donovan emptied his bench in the closing moments.
Florida made 4-of-5 3-point attempts in the second half and finished 5-for-18 (27.8 percent) ... Fresno State kept control of the ball behind Guerrero as the Bulldogs committed just eight turnovers compared to Florida's 11 ...Florida will host Savannah State next Sunday.
- FRESNO STATE: 49
Dec 21 6:35 PM
- FRESNO STATE: 19
Dec 21 5:23 PM
- FRESNO STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 21 4:40 PM
- Virginia Tech guard Jalen Hudson transfers to Florida May 16
- Florida guard Francis-Ramirez transferring after 2 seasons May 4
- Florida's Devin Robinson out 4-6 months after foot surgery Apr 21
- Florida guard Walker plans to transfer after graduation Mar 28
- Throwback centers featured in Denver's Midwest Regional Mar 16
- Florida's Egbunu to have season-ending thumb surgery Mar 15
- Florida's Egbunu uncertain to play against UNF in NIT Mar 14
- Florida C Egbunu tears thumb ligament before SEC Tournament Mar 9
- Florida trying to rebuild NCAA resume at SEC Tournament Mar 7
- February freefall leaves Florida in need of Kentucky win Feb 29
- With road stretch looming, Florida needs to win at home Feb 8
- Florida likely without starter Justin Leon vs No. 9 WVU Jan 29