Adams, LaVine power UCLA past NevadaNov 29, 2013 - 7:04 AM UCLA Bruins past the Nevada Wolf Pack, 105-84, as part of the Las Vegas Invitational.
Adams hit 10-of-10 from the free throw line and eclipsed the 21-point mark for the fifth straight game, while LaVine made 4-of-6 from 3-point range off the bench for UCLA (6-0), which is off to its best start since 2007-08 when the Bruins opened the season 7-0.
"Any time you play well you appreciate the efforts and I thought we did a lot of good things," UCLA head coach Steve Alford said.
Kyle Anderson filled the stat sheet with 17 points, 10 rebounds and a game- high six assists in the triumph, and Norman Powell netted 14 points.
Deonte Burton and Jerry Evans, Jr. both dropped 20 points in the setback, while Michael Perez added 18. Nevada (3-4) has lost three of its last four contests.
Nevada led 7-2 in the early going after Burton sank a triple and converted a four-point play two minutes in. Powell picked up his second foul on the second Burton trey, and his replacement LaVine promptly drained a pair of threes to put UCLA in front for good.
Minutes later, Adams assisted on consecutive baskets by Anderson and Travis Wear before LaVine's triple put UCLA ahead 25-15 midway through the opening period.
"He's shooting the ball extremely well," Alford added of LaVine. "He's doing a lot of good things for us."
David Wear scored nine of his 10 points in the final 2:06 of the half, including his second 3-pointer of the season and a pair of free throws with two seconds remaining. UCLA shot 64 percent from the field and held a commanding 56-39 advantage at the break.
UCLA opened the second half with a Powell alley-oop from Adams and quickly ended any thoughts of a Wolf Pack comeback. Bryce Alford's triple 6:36 into the frame made it 77-53, and the Bruins rolled the rest of the way.
UCLA outscored Nevada 38-22 in the paint ... Nevada has lost 13 in a row against ranked foes ... The Bruins improved to 5-0 all-time against the Wolf Pack ... Tournament play continues on Friday, as the Bruins tangle with Northwestern and Nevada meets Missouri.
- NEVADA: 84
Nov 28 9:25 PM
- NEVADA: 39
Nov 28 8:20 PM
- NEVADA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 28 7:33 PM
- Michigan-UCLA basketball to play home-and-home series May 13
- AP Source: Former UNLV coach Dave Rice hired at Nevada Apr 25
- Nevada defends hire of Cal assistant accused of harassment Apr 15
- Nevada hires former Cal assistant Yann Hufnagel Apr 9
- UCLA guard Bryce Alford recovering from hit to jaw Mar 6
- West leaves Nevada hoops; ex-star cites personal reasons Dec 15
- UCLA has deep, balanced team in Steve Alford's 3rd season Oct 28
- UCLA Preview Capsule Oct 28
- UCLA freshman Looney declares for NBA Draft Apr 6
- Gonzaga advances after pulling away from UCLA Mar 28
- UCLA and Gonzaga square off in South Region semifinals Mar 27
- Nevada picks Eric Musselman as men's coach Mar 25