Bairstow, No. 25 New Mexico down NevadaMar 3, 2014 - 1:39 AM Reno, NV (SportsNetwork.com) - Cameron Bairstow had 22 points and the 25th- ranked New Mexico Lobos used a big second half to beat the Nevada Wolf Pack by a 72-58 margin on Sunday.
Kendall Williams added 11 points and 10 assists for the Lobos (23-5, 14-2 MWC), who have won five in a row. Alex Kirk tallied 10 points, 11 rebounds and four blocks.
New Mexico is tied with San Diego State for the top spot in the Mountain West Conference standings. The Lobos wrap up the regular season with a road test against the Aztecs next Saturday after hosting Air Force on Wednesday.
Cole Huff and Deonte Burton each had 15 points for the Wolf Pack (13-16, 8-8), who have lost six of seven. AJ West finished with 10 points and seven boards.
New Mexico fell behind by six, 33-27, after West started the second half with a dunk.
But the Lobos scored the next six points to tie things up. Deshawn Delaney made a pair of layups before Bairstow's jumper made it 33-33.
The score was deadlocked at 49 when New Mexico went on an 8-0 run. Cullen Neal tallied the first five points of the spurt that Hugh Greenwood capped with a 3-pointer with 6:47 to play.
Ahead 62-56 with 3:42 remaining, the Lobos used a 10-0 burst to put the game away.
The Wolf Pack held a 31-17 lead, but were outscored 10-0 over the final 4:28 of the first half.
New Mexico went on to outscore Nevada by a 45-27 margin in the second half. The Lobos shot 57.1 percent from the field over the final 20 minutes.
The Lobos lead the all-time series by a 4-0 margin ... Each team went 6-of-20 from beyond the arc ... The Wolf Pack wrap up the regular season with a home game against UNLV next Saturday after visiting Boise State on Wednesday.
- NEW MEXICO: 72
Mar 2 7:49 PM
- NEW MEXICO: 27
Mar 2 7:02 PM
- NEW MEXICO: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 2 6:05 PM
- AP Source: Former UNLV coach Dave Rice hired at Nevada Apr 25
- Nevada defends hire of Cal assistant accused of harassment Apr 15
- Nevada hires former Cal assistant Yann Hufnagel Apr 9
- Correction: New Mexico-San Jose St story Jan 25
- UNM investigating purchasing activity on staffer's card Dec 22
- West leaves Nevada hoops; ex-star cites personal reasons Dec 15
- Lobos forward's career over because of spinal condition Nov 19
- Nevada picks Eric Musselman as men's coach Mar 25
- New Mexico knocks off unbeaten CSU Jan 4
- Rams and Lobos mix it up in Mountain West melee Jan 3
- New Mexico's Neal to receive two-year extension Mar 31
- Stanford holds off New Mexico Mar 21