San Diego State blows past McNeese StateDec 22, 2013 - 7:01 AM San Diego, CA (SportsNetwork.com) - Josh Davis scored 12 points and pulled down 17 rebounds to lead No. 24 San Diego State to a 65-36 win over McNeese State on Saturday.
Winston Shepard scored 14 and Aqeel Quinn and Matt Shrigley finished with 12 and 11 points, respectively, for the Aztecs (9-1), who have won eight straight since falling to current No. 1 Arizona on Nov. 14.
Ledrick Eackles was the only Cowboys player in double figures with 13 points and Craig McFerrin added 12 rebounds.
McNeese State (2-9) has dropped six straight.
"No question, one of the best-coached teams I've seen this year. Of course Steve Fisher, (he is) a gentleman of the game," said Cowboys coach Dave Simmons.
The Cowboys scored the first five points of the second half to take a 23-21 lead. The Aztecs, though, countered with a 15-2 run and never looked back.
Shepard scored seven of his points in the burst and also assisted on Xavier Thames' 3-pointer that made it 36-25 with 11:31 remaining.
McNeese State managed to pull within seven after an Austin Lewis slam, but SDSU went on a 21-4 run over the next 8:12 to put the game out of reach. Shrigley hit a pair of treys on the run and Davis put an exclamation point on the burst with his breakaway dunk at the 2:02 mark.
Desmond Maxwell and Kibret Woldemichael both buried 3's in the final 32 seconds to account for the final margin.
"When you can't make a shot it doesn't look very pretty and neither team could make a shot in the first half. The way we started the second half, I didn't think we would get a shot with the turnovers that occurred. But finally we made a basket ... and it seemed as if everyone felt a little more relaxed," saud SDSU coach Steve Fisher.
SDSU trailed 18-17 following an Adrian Fields jumper at the 7:52 mark, but Davis cleaned up a Shepard miss to put the Aztecs on top 19-18.
Shepard converted a pair of free throws over four minutes later for a 21-18 edge. Both sides went scoreless over the final 3:38 of the first half.
Saturday was the second meeting between the schools. San Diego State took a 91-85 win over the Cowboys on Dec. 20, 1984 ... SDSU improved to 6-5 all-time against the Southland Conference ... McNeese State shot 23.1 percent (15- for-65) from the field and went 2-for-18 from 3-point range.
- MCNEESE STATE: 36
SAN DIEGO STATE: 65
Dec 21 11:44 PM
- MCNEESE STATE: 18
SAN DIEGO STATE: 21
Dec 21 10:48 PM
- MCNEESE STATE: 0
SAN DIEGO STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 21 10:09 PM
- Playing in the Garden nice consolation prize for Aztecs Mar 25
- Fisher's Aztecs looking for 7th straight NCAA tourney berth Mar 9
- SDSU tops San Jose State 78-56 to clinch share of MWC title Feb 21
- San Diego St. 9-0 at halfway point of Mountain West schedule Feb 1
- San Diego State says basketball program cleared by NCAA Jan 5
- Hagins scores 14 as Little Rock stuns San Diego St. 49-43 Nov 21
- Cheatham brings 'good energy' to Fisher's Aztecs Nov 4
- It's now Steve Fisher Court at San Diego State Oct 29
- Duke crushes San Diego State to reach Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Blue Devils battle Aztecs in South Regional action Mar 22
- San Diego State holds off St. John's to advance Mar 21
- Red Storm tangle with Aztecs in South Region Mar 20