No. 1 Arizona beats Southern, moves to 12-0Dec 20, 2013 - 7:07 AM Tucson, AZ (SportsNetwork.com) - Aaron Gordon scored a career-high 21 points to lead No. 1 Arizona to a 69-43 win over Southern on Thursday night.
Nick Johnson netted 17 and Brandon Ashley contributed a double-double with 11 points and 10 rebounds for the Wildcats (12-0).
Arizona was without starting center Kaleb Tarczewski due to an ankle injury he suffered during Saturday's 72-70 win at Michigan.
Malcolm Miller and Calvin Godfrey paced the Jaguars (3-8) with 11 points and Tre Lynch added 10 points in the setback.
When speaking of Gordon's effort, "He played very well tonight, especially offensively. The free throws can't become mental for him. He's working at it though."
Gordon was just 4-of-10 from the free throw line and is shooting 44.7 percent from the line on the year.
The highlight factory that is Gordon struck early against the Jaguars. Following an Ashley block, T.J. McConnell rushed it up the floor and lobbed it to Gordon, who threw it down for an early 6-3 lead.
Miller answered with a jumper, but Arizona used a 9-0 run to take a 15-5 lead with just under 14 minutes left in the first.
Southern pulled within six a couple of minutes later when the Wildcats went on a 14-0 run highlighted by another forceful dunk from Gordon. The freshman scored eight points during the spurt to help Arizona to a 30-11 lead with 4:45 to play in the half.
Southern trimmed the deficit to 34-19 at the break.
Southern pulled to within 10 in the opening minutes of the second but that is as close as they came for the remainder of the contest.
The Wildcats proceeded to go on a 13-4 run which gave them a 49-30 lead after three free throws from Johnson at 12:28. The final margin was the Wildcats' largest lead of the game.
Arizona has won 30 of its last 32 non-conference home games ... The Wildcats shot 54.2 percent from the field in the first half ... Rondae Hollis-Jefferson scored eight points with eight rebounds in the win ... Arizona is back in action at home against Northern Arizona on Monday.
- Pitts transferring from Arizona May 17
- Arizona guard Allonzo Trier returning for sophomore season Apr 4
- Arizona's Justin Simon transferring after 1 season Mar 28
- Arizona falters against Wichita State, loses 65-55 Mar 18
- Wichita State ready to keep rolling, faces Arizona Mar 16
- Unlikely qualifier Holy Cross plays Southern in First Four Mar 15
- Samford tops VMI in OT, 92-85, advances in SoCon tourney Mar 4
- Arizona coach Sean Miller fed up with court storming Feb 25
- Trier misses 3 at buzzer, No. 9 Arizona falls to Colorado Feb 25
- Arizona's Miller rips into team after loss to No. 23 Oregon Jan 29
- Freshman Trier to miss up to 6 weeks for No. 7 Arizona Jan 10
- Arizona's Trier coming on strong after talk from Miller Dec 12