Dinwiddie leads Colorado over ElonDec 14, 2013 - 5:51 AM Boulder, CO (SportsNetwork.com) - Spencer Dinwiddie scored 17 points and had seven assists to lead the 21st-ranked Colorado Buffaloes to an 80-63 victory over the Elon Phoenix.
Xavier Johnson and Josh Scott supplied 12 points apiece and grabbed 15 and 13 rebounds, respectively, for Colorado (10-1), which has won 10 straight since dropping its season-opener to Baylor.
"This was kind of a take care of business game and our guys did that," Colorado head coach Tad Boyle said. "We rebounded the ball well, we got to the foul line, we played inside-out. It was a good win and there's still a lot of room for improvement with this team."
Sebastian Koch scored a game-high 27 and Tanner Samson added 12 points for Elon (5-5), which will host Georgetown Tuesday.
For the first 3:24, Elon led 3-0 before Colorado got on the board with a trey. The Phoenix held the lead until Johnson nailed a 3-pointer with 10:12 left in the first half.
The game was tied 18-18 with 8:53 left in the first before a 20-5 run was ignited by Colorado. The surge ended with 1:25 to play in the first and the teams headed to the locker room with Colorado holding a 41-26 advantage.
"They out-rebounded us in the first half by 22 rebounds and we cannot expect to hang around with a top-25 team," Elon head coach Matt Matheny said. "They really just abused us at the glass."
Elon tried to stay close through the second half despite Colorado leading by 19 points with 16:02 left in the game. On the strength of four 3-pointers, the Phoenix pulled within seven points, 52-45, following the Colorado run.
With 6:25 left in the game, Elon got within nine points, but did not come any closer the rest of the contest. Colorado closed out the game on an 11-3 run.
Colorado has won 10 straight for the first time in 52 seasons ... Elon is 0-18 against Top 25 opponents since 1998-99 ... Elon is 0-4 against current members of the Pac-12 Conference ... George King scored 10 points for Colorado ... The Buffaloes shot 27-of-46 for the free throw line while the Phoenix shot 6- of-15.
- ELON: 63
Dec 13 10:33 PM
- ELON: 26
Dec 13 9:26 PM
- ELON: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 13 8:37 PM
- Purvis spurs UConn comeback for 74-67 win over Colorado Mar 17
- Can UConn start another title run with an afterthought seed? Mar 16
- No. 11 Oregon State women grind out 61-47 win over Colorado Jan 24
- Anglin scores 20, Northern Colorado tops Montana State 78-76 Jan 16
- Boyle, Buffs look to rebound from disappointing season Oct 28
- Colorado Preview Capsule Oct 28
- Colorado's Xavier Johnson tears Achilles Jun 25
- Arizona eases past Colorado Feb 27
- No. 7 Arizona meets Colorado in Pac-12 tilt Feb 26
- No. 13 Utah blows out Colorado Feb 8
- Utes and Buffs square off in Pac-12 tilt Feb 7
- No. 10 Arizona takes care of Colorado Jan 16