Booker, No. 21 Colorado top GeorgiaDec 29, 2013 - 7:40 AM Boulder, CO (SportsNetwork.com) - Askia Booker led a balanced Colorado scoring attack with 19 points, as the 21st-ranked Buffaloes bested the Georgia Bulldogs, 84-70, on Saturday at Coors Event Center.
"He was very efficient and he took good shots. I thought he was terrific," Colorado head coach Tad Boyle said.
All five Colorado starters finished in double figures, with Spencer Dinwiddie supplying 17 points and Josh Scott posting a 14-point, 13-rebound double- double for the Buffaloes (11-2), who went a perfect 26-of-26 from the free throw line.
Xavier Johnson added 13 points and Wesley Gordon netted 10 points to help Colorado bounce back from a 78-73 setback against Oklahoma State on Dec. 21 that snapped the team's 10-game win streak.
Kenny Gaines and Nemanja Djurisic each scored 12 points to lead Georgia (6-5), which had won five straight games.
"This a great experience for us. We got beat by a better team, and we've got to learn from it," Georgia head coach Mark Fox said.
Georgia remained close in the early going and trailed by just three, 18-15, before Jaron Hopkins drilled a 3-pointer to spark a 10-3 Colorado run that Booker capped with a triple to make it 28-18 with 9:11 left in the half.
Booker capped a quick 8-0 sprint with consecutive buckets shortly after to push the spread to 16 and help Colorado carry a 46-35 lead into halftime.
Georgia's deficit remained in double-digits for the first half of the second stanza until Brandon Morris followed a Donte' Williams tip-in with a 3-pointer to bring the Bulldogs within 57-49 with 10:05 still to play.
However, Colorado countered with a 9-2 swing that Booker capped with a jumper to make it 66-51 with 8:17 left on the clock.
Georgia failed to get closer than 10 the rest of the way.
Colorado opens Pac-12 play against Oregon State on Jan. 2 ... Despite the setback, Georgia leads the all-time series, 6-3 ... Colorado won the rebounding battle, 34-22 ... Georgia went just 9-of-18 from the charity stripe.
- GEORGIA: 70
Dec 28 11:59 PM
- GEORGIA: 35
Dec 28 10:54 PM
- GEORGIA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 28 10:07 PM
- Georgia's Juwan Parker granted medical redshirt May 23
- Georgia signs forward Diatta as transfer from Southern Idaho Apr 20
- McGarity believes Georgia program still growing with Fox Mar 30
- Purvis spurs UConn comeback for 74-67 win over Colorado Mar 17
- Can UConn start another title run with an afterthought seed? Mar 16
- J.J. Frazier keeps believing, keeps shooting for Georgia Mar 4
- Georgia bracing for road trips to LSU and No. 17 Baylor Jan 25
- No. 11 Oregon State women grind out 61-47 win over Colorado Jan 24
- Georgia looking for turnaround following ugly loss to Aggies Jan 19
- Anglin scores 20, Northern Colorado tops Montana State 78-76 Jan 16
- Georgia defeats Robert Morris 79-67 Dec 29
- Georgia Preview Capsule Oct 29