Colorado edges Oregon State in Pac-12 openerJan 3, 2014 - 5:57 AM Boulder, CO (SportsNetwork.com) - Josh Scott had 13 points and 10 rebounds to help No. 20 Colorado edge Oregon State in a 64-58 victory at the Coors Events Center in the Pac-12 opener for both teams.
Askia Booker and Jaron Hopkins each contributed with 13 as well for the Buffaloes (12-2, 1-0), who have a flawless 10-0 record at home.
The Pac-12 leading scorer, Roberto Nelson, tallied a game-high 23 points for the Beavers (8-5, 0-1), who haven't defeated a Top-25 team on the road since Jan. 5, 1985 when they upset No. 15 Washington.
Despite committing 12 first half turnovers, Oregon State trailed just 28-23 at the break. Colorado finished the half on a 10-5 spurt.
Colorado extended its advantage to 10 but a Langston Morris-Walker 3 from the corner and four straight free throws tied the game at 40 with just under 10 minutes to play.
The Buffaloes answered with a 9-0 run to regain control and led by nine with 3:30 left. Malcolm Duvivier hit a wide open 3 from the corner to cut it to 60-56 at the 2:10 mark.
Booker threw up a prayer as the shot clock expired with 49 seconds remaining but Colorado grabbed the offensive rebound and made 3-of-4 free throws down the stretch to secure the win.
Colorado plays Oregon on Sunday ... Oregon State plays at Utah on Saturday ... Beavers guard Eric Moreland returned from a 12-game team suspension and grabbed a team-high 10 boards off the bench ... Colorado leads the series 10-4 all-time.
- OREGON STATE: 58
Jan 3 12:06 AM
- OREGON STATE: 23
Jan 2 10:55 PM
- OREGON STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 2 10:06 PM
- Beavers bummed about early exit, but excited for the future Mar 19
- Purvis spurs UConn comeback for 74-67 win over Colorado Mar 17
- Payton II following in father's NCAA footsteps at Oregon St Mar 17
- Can UConn start another title run with an afterthought seed? Mar 16
- Pac-12 says end of Washington-Oregon State handled properly Feb 25
- No. 11 Oregon State women grind out 61-47 win over Colorado Jan 24
- Anglin scores 20, Northern Colorado tops Montana State 78-76 Jan 16
- Oregon State Preview Capsule Oct 28
- Oregon State Beavers no longer the Pac-12 surprise Oct 28
- Boyle, Buffs look to rebound from disappointing season Oct 28
- Colorado Preview Capsule Oct 28
- Colorado's Xavier Johnson tears Achilles Jun 25