Oregon routs Utah ValleyNov 20, 2013 - 7:30 AM Eugene, OR (SportsNetwork.com) - Joseph Young had 20 points and No. 17 Oregon defeated Utah Valley, 69-54, on Tuesday night.
Johnathan Loyd added 12 points to go along with five assists for the Ducks (3-0), who outrebounded the Wolverines by a 42-30 margin.
"I thought we'd be sharper," Oregon head coach Dana Altman said. "I thought their defense was playing us really soft. They just got us standing around. The ball movement was not good on the offensive end."
Mitch Bruneel and Hayes Garrity each netted 15 points for Utah Valley (2-2).
The Ducks led by just four at the break, but seized control of the contest with a 24-4 run to start the second half.
Young and Damyean Dotson each put in five points apiece during the surge, which was capped on Waverley Austin's layup for a 53-33 Oregon advantage midway through the stanza.
"They got aggressive on offense and we weren't able to sustain enough to stay with them," Wolverines head coach Dick Hunsaker said.
The Ducks led by as many as 23 down the stretch.
Young put in seven quick points as Oregon raced out to an early 20-4 spread, but Utah Valley closed the half on a 12-2 run to whittle the deficit to 29-25 heading into the locker room.
Mike Moser had eight points and nine rebounds for the Ducks ... Oregon shot 41.3 percent (26-of-63) from the floor, while the Wolverines finished 37.9 percent (22-of-58) from the field.
- UTAH VALLEY: 54
Nov 19 10:58 PM
- UTAH VALLEY: 25
Nov 19 9:48 PM
- UTAH VALLEY: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 19 9:03 PM
- Altman on Coach K: 'I had no problem with what he did' Apr 1
- Coach K apologizes to Altman for postgame chat with Brooks Mar 26
- Altman backs Brooks after late-game drama with Coach K Mar 26
- Oklahoma's Kruger, Oregon's Altman test bond in Elite Eight Mar 25
- Oregon takes the national stage against defending champ Duke Mar 23
- Versatility a key as top-seed Oregon faces St. Joseph's Mar 19
- Tyler Dorsey a catalyst to Oregon's surge for No. 1 seed Mar 17
- Oregon's rise on national stage highlighted by top seed Mar 15
- Power outage briefly cuts lights at Oregon-USC game Mar 5
- Oregon breaks into top 10, highest ranking since '07 Feb 29
- Former Oregon player accused of rape sues university Oct 30
- Oregon Preview-Capsule Oct 28