Oregon outlasts BYU in OTDec 22, 2013 - 7:10 AM Eugene, OR (SportsNetwork.com) - Jason Calliste netted 31 points and No. 13 Oregon remained unbeaten following a 100-96 overtime triumph over BYU on Saturday night.
Damyean Dotson's go-ahead layup with 35 seconds left gave the Ducks their first lead since the first half, 96-94.
Kyle Collinsworth drew a foul at the other end, but split the pair and Joseph Young drove in for an easy layup to extend the margin to 98-95. Matt Carlino missed a right wing triple with 16 ticks on the clock and Mike Moser made 1- of-2 foul shots to seal the outcome for Oregon.
Young had 25 points and Dotson added 15 points for the Ducks (11-0), who moved to 9-0 at home.
"We put ourselves in a tough position and had a couple of bad turnovers in the first half. But our guys kept playing. We found a way to tie it up and got two big offensive rebounds in overtime. We got outplayed for a large part of the game," Oregon coach Dana Altman said.
Tyler Haws scored 18 of his game-high 32 points in the first half for BYU (8-5), which has dropped three of its last four games.
The Ducks trailed 83-76 with less than three minutes left in regulation, but closed the period on an 8-1 flurry.
After Moser split a pair of free throws, Johnathan Loyd forced a steal and Young nailed a right wing 3 in transition to make it a one-possession game.
Nate Austin sunk 1-of-2 from the charity stripe with 1:15 on the clock before Loyd made a pair at the other end. Moser knocked down a left baseline jumper to tie the contest at 84-84 with 59 seconds to go in regulation.
Oregon had the final possession of the stanza and Elgin Cook drew a foul with two seconds left, but missed both free throws.
"The most important thing was to get everyone's minds right," BYU coach Dave Rose said. "We were lucky to be in overtime instead of feeling sorry for ourselves. He could have made both free throws and ended the game right there. Our guys came out with the right mindset in overtime and got a quick score. The tough part of the game is trying to get stops."
BYU shot 57 percent in the first half and led 47-41 at the break.
Oregon shot 40.7 percent (33-of-81) from the floor, while BYU finished 47.2 percent (34-of-72) from the field ... The Cougars outrebounded Oregon, 51-40 ... Moser had 12 points and nine rebounds.
- BYU: 96
Final - OT
Dec 22 1:11 AM
- BYU: 84
End of Regulation
Dec 22 12:50 AM
- BYU: 47
Dec 21 11:25 PM
- BYU: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 21 10:37 PM
- Altman on Coach K: 'I had no problem with what he did' Apr 1
- Coach K apologizes to Altman for postgame chat with Brooks Mar 26
- Altman backs Brooks after late-game drama with Coach K Mar 26
- Oklahoma's Kruger, Oregon's Altman test bond in Elite Eight Mar 25
- Oregon takes the national stage against defending champ Duke Mar 23
- Versatility a key as top-seed Oregon faces St. Joseph's Mar 19
- Tyler Dorsey a catalyst to Oregon's surge for No. 1 seed Mar 17
- Oregon's rise on national stage highlighted by top seed Mar 15
- Power outage briefly cuts lights at Oregon-USC game Mar 5
- Oregon breaks into top 10, highest ranking since '07 Feb 29
- BYU freshman phenom Emery having record-setting season Feb 26
- BYU escapes with 69-67 win over San Diego Feb 19