Oregon downs Utah in OTJan 3, 2014 - 6:47 AM Salt Lake City, UT (SportsNetwork.com) - Damyean Dotson charged to the rim and slammed the ball home on a fastbreak with 0.6 left to lead 10th-ranked Oregon to a 70-68 victory over Utah in overtime.
"I never had a game-winner like that before. It's the greatest feeling for me," Dotson said.
Delon Wright tied the game with 1:46 left in overtime and then put Utah ahead by two with just over a minute to play.
After a missed trey by Mike Moser, Elgin Cook brought down the offensive rebound for the Ducks. The ball swung to Dotson, who drove to the hoop and knotted the game with a reverse layup with 33.9 seconds on the clock.
Utah called a timeout and inbounded with 6.5 seconds left when Dotson knocked down a pass by Dallin Bachynski to set up his dunk. Jordan Loveridge missed a 3 at the other end as the buzzer sounded.
Dotson totaled 11 points and Richard Amardi had 14 points and seven rebounds for the Ducks (13-0, 1-0 Pac-12), who play in Colorado Sunday. Dominic Artis added 12 points for the visitors.
Loveridge poured in a game-high 21 and Wright contributed 14 points, six rebounds and four blocks for Utah (11-2, 0-1), which will host Oregon State on Saturday.
"We know we can play and compete with everyone in the league," Loveridge said. "Hopefully next time we can make the plays down the stretch."
The game was deadlocked at 60 apiece with a minute and a half to play before Brandon Taylor knocked down a pair from the line with 42.4 seconds left to put the Utes in front. On the Ducks next possession Dotson took to the charity stripe for two makes of his own with 27.5 seconds remaining.
After a timeout with 7.4 seconds to go, Utah set up for the final shot and win in regulation but Loveridge could not connect from the arc and the teams headed to overtime.
The Utes led by 10 after the first 6:16 of the second half until an 18-4 burst by the Ducks put them ahead, 53-49, with seven minutes left to play.
Utah jumped out to an early advantage, with a 10-2 run, in the first 6:27 of the game. The Ducks pulled within one, 17-16, after an Artis jumper with just over seven minutes left in the first half.
Amardi capped off an 8-3 Oregon surge with a trey to tie the game at 24 apiece with 3:21 left in the first. The Utes finished the half with a 6-2 burst to take a 32-28 lead into the break.
Oregon snapped a Utah 13-game home win streak ... The Ducks have matched their best start since 2006-07 ... Bachynski had 11 points and 12 rebounds for Utah ... Oregon was 4-for-9 from the arc in the first half, while Utah went 2-for-8 from distance in the first 20 minutes.
- OREGON: 70
Final - OT
Jan 2 10:17 PM
- OREGON: 62
End of Regulation
Jan 2 10:01 PM
- OREGON: 28
Jan 2 8:48 PM
- OREGON: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 2 8:03 PM
- Utah center Jakob Poeltl declares for NBA draft Apr 13
- Altman on Coach K: 'I had no problem with what he did' Apr 1
- Coach K apologizes to Altman for postgame chat with Brooks Mar 26
- Altman backs Brooks after late-game drama with Coach K Mar 26
- Oklahoma's Kruger, Oregon's Altman test bond in Elite Eight Mar 25
- Oregon takes the national stage against defending champ Duke Mar 23
- Gonzaga's Sabonis gets best of Utah's Poeltl Mar 20
- Versatility a key as top-seed Oregon faces St. Joseph's Mar 19
- Air up there: Zags, Utah features rare meeting of big men Mar 18
- Tyler Dorsey a catalyst to Oregon's surge for No. 1 seed Mar 17
- Throwback centers featured in Denver's Midwest Regional Mar 16
- Oregon's rise on national stage highlighted by top seed Mar 15