Cotton, Wichita State rout DrakeFeb 23, 2014 - 5:47 AM Wichita, KS (SportsNetwork.com) - Tekele Cotton poured in a career-best 21 points, and third-ranked Wichita State remained the lone unbeaten team in Division I with an 83-54 rout of Drake Saturday night.
Fred VanVleet and Darius Carter each added 15 points for the Shockers (29-0, 16-0 MVC), who extended a school record winning streak and came within one victory of the best start ever in the Missouri Valley Conference. That belongs to Southern Illinois in the 2003-04 season.
The Shockers figure to move to No. 2 in the nation come Monday. Top-ranked Syracuse lost twice this week, while second-ranked Florida stretched its winning streak to 19 games Saturday with a win at Ole Miss.
The Shockers, who moved to 16-0 as the host, will complete their home slate March 1 against Missouri State. That comes after Tuesday's game at Bradley. Wichita State has been undefeated at home in Charles Koch Arena (Levitt Arena) only two times since the arena opened in 1955-56.
Saint Joseph's was the last remaining team to run the table in an unbeaten regular season in 2003-04.
Daddy Ugbede scored 14 and Jordan Daniels tallied 13 for the Bulldogs (14-14, 5-11), who had a two-game winning streak broken. Drake, which suffered a 78-61 home loss to the Shockers on Jan. 25, have lost five of its last seven contests.
Aaron Hawley's layup moved Drake to a 15-14 lead with 9:20 left in the first half, but Wichita State went on an ensuing 17-2 spurt and led 31-18 at the break.
Drake shot 28.6 percent in the first half and was held without a field goal after Hawley's bucket.
Wichita State scored 14 in a row early in the second half for a commanding 45-19 cushion less than 3 1/2 minutes into the stanza. The Shockers, who went 19-of-30 from the field in the final 20 minutes, led by as many as 31 points.
Wichita State has won the last five meetings with Drake ... The Bulldogs committed 20 turnovers, which led to 31 points by the Shockers ... Wichita State shot 52.5 percent from the field compared to 41.9 for Drake ... Hawley scored 10 points.
- DRAKE: 54
WICHITA STATE: 83
Feb 22 10:05 PM
- DRAKE: 18
WICHITA STATE: 31
Feb 22 9:01 PM
- DRAKE: 0
WICHITA STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 22 8:07 PM
- Wichita State Shockers face Miami, ready to keep on shocking Mar 18
- Wichita State ready to keep rolling, faces Arizona Mar 16
- Wichita State back healthy, faces Vanderbilt in First Four Mar 15
- No. 22 Wichita St uses balanced scoring to top Loyola 80-54 Jan 28
- New Mexico State, Wichita State to play makeup game Feb. 15 Jan 18
- Winter storm forces New Mexico St-Wichita St postponement Dec 28
- Wichita State says F Grady's back injury improving Nov 28
- Grady hurt in No. 20 Wichita State loss to Alabama Nov 27
- No. 10 Shockers enter season with high expectations again Nov 3
- Drake hoping to turn corner in 2015-16 Oct 5
- Marshall staying at Wichita State with new deal Apr 2
- Report: Marshall staying at Wichita State with new deal Apr 2