Cotton, No. 12 Wichita State make history in win against TennesseeDec 14, 2013 - 10:38 PM Wichita, KS (SportsNetwork.com) - Tekele Cotton made sure history did not repeat itself Saturday.
Cotton scored all 19 of his points in the second half and No. 12 Wichita State downed Tennessee, 70-61, to reach the 10-0 mark for the first time in school history.
The Shockers (10-0) won their first nine games a season ago before losing to Tennessee a year ago Friday. This time Wichita State made the necessary plays down the stretch and limited the Volunteers to 38.5 percent shooting.
Cleanthony Early added 13 points and Darius Carter chipped in with 11 points and 14 rebounds in the victory.
Jordan McRae paced Tennessee (6-3) with 26 points.
The largest lead for either team in the first 34-plus minutes was only five points, and it was Cotton who helped the Shockers turn the tight contest into a nine-point win.
Tennessee had taken a 44-41 lead near the midway point of the second half after Jarnell Stokes threw down a pair of dunks and added a free throw after getting fouled on the second slam.
Cotton, though, answered with two free throws, came up with a big block of Jeronne Maymon at the other end and converted a go-ahead three-point play the next time down.
With under six minutes to play, Cotton spearheaded a 7-0 run with a 3-pointer, two free throws and a deft pass to Chadrack Lufile for an easy layup that pushed Wichita State's lead to 58-49.
"I thought he played a good game on both ends of the floor," Tennessee coach Cuonzo Martin said of Cotton. "He got to the free throw line quite a bit, but I thought he impacted the game on defense. He had a key block on Jeronne and he had a key steal in transition. I thought he did a good job of playing on both ends."
Early's 3-pointer a little later made it a 63-51 affair, and the hosts closed it out from there.
Neither team scored in the final two minutes of a back-and-forth first half, which ended with the Vols clinging to a slim 26-25 lead.
Stokes finished with eight points, seven below his season average ... Ron Baker, Wichita State's leading scorer coming in, was limited to eight points ... Carter's double-double was the second for a Wichita state player this season.
- TENNESSEE: 61
WICHITA STATE: 70
Dec 14 4:12 PM
- TENNESSEE: 26
WICHITA STATE: 25
Dec 14 2:51 PM
- TENNESSEE: 0
WICHITA STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 14 2:07 PM
- Forward Lew Evans transferring from Utah State to Tennessee May 12
- Forward Ray Kasongo leaving Tennessee after 1 season Apr 21
- Wichita State Shockers face Miami, ready to keep on shocking Mar 18
- Wichita State ready to keep rolling, faces Arizona Mar 16
- Wichita State back healthy, faces Vanderbilt in First Four Mar 15
- Tennessee optimistic about future after rare losing season Mar 12
- Tennessee's Kevin Punter Jr. to have season-ending surgery Mar 4
- Tennessee relying more on its freshmen late in season Feb 29
- Tennessee head coaches will hold rare joint press conference Feb 22
- Tennessee falls below .500, second-half collapses a concern Feb 1
- No. 22 Wichita St uses balanced scoring to top Loyola 80-54 Jan 28
- Vols' Moore finds ways to contribute amid scoring slump Jan 25