Durant, Abrams lead Texas to easy victoryNov 29, 2006 - 3:12 AM AUSTIN, Texas (Ticker) -- Freshman Kevin Durant and sophomore A.J. Abrams are a consistent pair.
Durant scored 15 of his 22 points in the first half and Abrams added 15 of his 20 in the same span as No. 25 Texas cruised to a 90-50 victory over Texas Southern in a non-conference matchup.
Freshmen D.J. Augustin and Dexter Pittman scored 10 points each for the Longhorns (5-1), who improved to 4-0 all-time against opponents from the Southwestern Athletic Conference.
In Texas' previous outing, a 91-60 rout of Nicholls State, Abrams netted 23 points, including seven 3-pointers, while Durant added 21. Against the Tigers (1-5), Durant and Abrams both drilled three 3-pointers in the first 20 minutes, helping the Longhorns to a comfortable 60-25 cushion.
This marks the fourth time this season that Durant and Abrams have both scored at least 20 points.
Texas shot 55 percent (21-of-38) before the break while making seven shots from the arc.
"There is no question that we were out-manned tonight," Texas Southern coach Ronnie Courtney said. "Texas just had too much tonight. They had too much scoring, too much firepower, too much of about everything tonight.
"Hopefully, we learned something tonight from this type of game, even though we were not as competitive as I thought we would be."
Jacques Jones scored 14 points and Sollie Norwood added 10 for Texas Southern, which committed 28 turnovers.
The Longhorns have won their four home games by an average of 39 points.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Texas guard Isaiah Taylor skipping senior year for NBA Apr 21
- Jesperson's halfcourt shot puts Northern Iowa past Texas Mar 19
- First-year Texas coach Smart no longer the underdog Mar 17
- Texas hoping Shaka Smart can spark tournament success Mar 16
- Texas' Ridley closer to return, status for Big 12 unclear Mar 7
- Texas Western returns to scene of '66 NCAA win over Kentucky Feb 13
- Texas lurking near top of Big 12 as 'havoc' takes hold Feb 12
- UTEP honors Texas Western's historic title 50 years later Feb 6
- Texas Western celebrating historic title 50 years later Feb 4
- Texas says no evidence of academic misconduct Jan 13
- Longhorns: Swingman Jordan Barnett asks to transfer Jan 12
- Texas loses center Cameron Ridley to broken left foot Dec 28