Green lifts Butler past ValparaisoNov 30, 2006 - 3:20 AM VALPARAISO, Indiana (Ticker) -- Mike Green and Butler are off to a flying start in their trek across the Hoosier State.
Green scored 16 points and No. 18 Butler took control early en route to a 60-47 triumph over Valparaiso.
In the rankings for the first time this season after winning last week's NIT Season Tip-Off, the Bulldogs (8-0) were beginning a stretch in which five of their next six games are against teams from the state of Indiana.
Butler is off to its best start since opening the 2002-03 season with 10 straight victories.
Green was at his best early, scoring nine straight points in a 16-3 run that closed the first half and gave the Bulldogs a 32-17 lead.
The Bulldogs held the Crusaders to 28 percent (7-of-25) shooting in the first half. Valparaiso shot 39 percent (18-of-46) overall and made just 3-of-17 3-pointers.
Green's driving layup with 4:50 remaining gave the Bulldogs their biggest lead at 55-39.
A.J. Graves added 13 points for Butler, which already owns wins over Indiana and Notre Dame - two schools also located in the Hoosier State.
Brandon McPherson scored 14 points and Jarryd Loyd 10 for Valparaiso (3-3), which trailed by double digits the entire season half.
Butler made 20-of-26 free throws, while Valparaiso went just 8-of-19 at the line.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Butler basketball coach agrees to contract extension May 18
- Butler fills assistant coaching void with hire of Schrage May 12
- Butler adds graduate transfer Avery Woodson to roster Apr 25
- Lottich succeeds Drew as basketball coach at Valparaiso Apr 7
- Butler partners with bone marrow registry in Smith's honor Mar 18
- Shut out of NCAA games, Butler's mascot hard at work outside Mar 18
- No. 1 seed Virginia prepares for 2nd-round test from Butler Mar 18
- Smith leads 5th school to NCAAs as Texas Tech faces Butler Mar 16
- Emotional season helps Butler finds its way to NCAA tourney Mar 15
- Correction: Northern Kentucky-Valparaiso story Feb 16
- No. 16 Providence rallies late, downs No. 18 Butler 71-68 Jan 19
- Ball State hangs on to beat Valparaiso 69-66 Nov 28