Butler drubs Cleveland State to stay unbeatenDec 3, 2006 - 3:42 AM INDIANAPOLIS (Ticker) -- Butler didn't let up in its conference opener.
Mike Green scored 16 points to lead the 18th-ranked Bulldogs to a 70-45 rout of Horizon League foe Cleveland State.
A.J. Graves added 14 for Butler (9-0, 1-0 Horizon), which entered the rankings for the first time this season after winning the NIT Season Tip-Off last week.
The Bulldogs used two spurts to break the game open and end the Vikings' four-game winning streak.
Leading, 22-20, Butler scored eight straight points and closed the first half with a 13-2 run to take a 35-22 lead at halftime.
Pete Campbell and Graves hit back-to-back 3-pointers and Mike Green scored on a layup to extend the advantage to 30-20.
J'Nathan Bullock stopped the 8-0 run with a layup, but Drew Streicher scored for Butler and Campbell connected again from the arc to make it a 13-point lead at the break.
The Vikings closed within 39-30 on another layup by Bullock, but the Bulldogs answered with an 18-2 run built mostly on layups and follow shots for a 57-32 cushion with 6:45 to play.
Butler shot 52 percent (25-of-48) from the floor and converted 15-of-17 free throws.
Bullock and Kevin Francis scored 11 points apiece for Cleveland State (5-4, 0-1), which shot 33 percent (18-of-54) and outrebounded Butler, 30-29.
Neither team shot well from 3-point range. The Bulldogs were just 5-of-20 while the Vikings were 4-of-19.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Butler basketball coach agrees to contract extension May 18
- Butler fills assistant coaching void with hire of Schrage May 12
- Butler adds graduate transfer Avery Woodson to roster Apr 25
- Butler partners with bone marrow registry in Smith's honor Mar 18
- Shut out of NCAA games, Butler's mascot hard at work outside Mar 18
- No. 1 seed Virginia prepares for 2nd-round test from Butler Mar 18
- Smith leads 5th school to NCAAs as Texas Tech faces Butler Mar 16
- Emotional season helps Butler finds its way to NCAA tourney Mar 15
- No. 16 Providence rallies late, downs No. 18 Butler 71-68 Jan 19
- No. 24 Butler changing script with more offensive power Nov 9
- Butler gives Holtmann contract extension Mar 30
- Notre Dame needs OT to beat Butler Mar 22