Nichols hits six 3-pointers in second half to lead SyracuseDec 10, 2006 - 2:45 AM SYRACUSE, New York (Ticker) -- Demetris Nichols needed just 10 minutes to make an impact.
Nichols scored 24 of his 28 points after halftime and tied a career high with six 3-pointers as 21st-ranked Syracuse pulled away in the second half for a 79-52 victory over Colgate in a non-conference matchup.
Andy Rautins scored 13 points and Terrence Roberts added 12 for the Orange (8-2), who ended a two-game losing streak. They captured their 41st consecutive meeting against the Red Raiders (4-6), continuing the nation's longest-active winning streak over the same opponent.
Nichols helped turn Syracuse's 35-30 halftime edge into a 69-43 cushion with 9:51 left. The 6-8 senior forward had all 24 of his points, including six baskets from the arc, in the first 10:09 of the closing session.
"I can't explain it," Nichols said. "It's a great feeling. I'm not sure if I've ever had a streak like this. Maybe high school, but probably not. I was in one of those zones. It's just a feeling players get. My teammates got me the ball and set some great screens."
"Demetris will make shots," Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said. "He was set, got his balance and hit them. We did a great job getting him the ball. He got it going as well as I've seen."
Kyle Chones scored 18 points for Colgate, which shot just 36 percent (22-of-61) from the field.
"We got going defensively in the second half," Boeheim said.
The Orange held the Raiders without a field goal for the first six minutes of the closing half and cruised thereafter.
"Josh Wright did a great job on Jon Simon," Boeheim noted. "I don't think he gave him an easy look until right down at the end."
Simon shot just 2-of-11 from the floor and finished with five points. He entered the contest as Colgate's leading scorer at 14.3 points per game.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
COLGATE 30 22 52
SYRACUSE (21) 35 44 79 FINAL
Dec 9 8:50 PM
- NCAA BB
SYRACUSE (21) 35 HALFTIME
Dec 9 7:49 PM
- Syracuse's Malachi Richardson all-in for NBA draft May 17
- Syracuse frosh Malachi Richardson to enter name in NBA draft Apr 18
- Syracuse reserve center Chinonso Obokoh transferring Apr 7
- Syracuse guard Kaleb Joseph transferring Apr 5
- Syracuse's Boeheim scoffs at idea that it was rough season Apr 3
- Correction: Final Four-Syracuse story Apr 3
- UNC, Syracuse vastly different but familiar Final Four foes Apr 2
- Double-digit not Cinderella for Syracuse; UNC last No. 1 Mar 31
- Syracuse rides improbable run to Final Four Mar 28
- Virginia knocking on door for Final Four Mar 27
- Judge tosses suit by ex-Syracuse coach's wife against ESPN Mar 26
- Gonzaga taking on Syracuse's vaunted zone in Sweet 16 Mar 25