Wichita State holds on for victory in Las Vegas ClassicDec 20, 2006 - 6:24 AM WICHITA, Kansas (Ticker) -- Wichita State survived a scare to make their trip to Las Vegas on a high note.
Ryan Martin scored 19 points and P.J. Couisnard added 15 to lead the No. 8 Shockers to a 74-65 victory over Kennesaw State in the second round of the Las Vegas Classic.
With the win, Wichita State (9-0) matched the best start in school history, which was set in 2004-05. The Shockers next will face New Mexico in Las Vegas on Friday.
The Owls (2-9) were able to hang tough in the first half as Golden Ingle scored 21 of his 26 points on 7-of-8 shooting, including 3-of-4 from 3-point range to go to the break trailing, 35-32.
Martin netted 15 points in the second half as Wichita State built a 16-point lead midway through the session only to see Kennesaw State fight back with a 12-0 run to pull within 59-56.
"That's a well coached team that came in here and got some confidence and used the clock," Shockers coach Mark Turgeon said. "We had the game and then got a little complacent. They hit some shots and we panicked a little bit."
The Shockers clamped down and went on a 7-0 run to increase their lead to 66-56 with under three minutes to play and never looked back.
Phillip Thomasson scored 14 points and Karon Bradley netted 11 off the bench for Wichita State, which shot 63 percent (27-for-43) from the floor. Overall, the Shockers' reserves outscored the Owls' 30-8.
"I think our bench grew up a lot tonight," Couisnard said. "They came off the bench and played great tonight. It's good to have great players come off the bench like that in case we really do need them like we did tonight."
Shaun Stegall netted 19 points and grabbed 12 rebounds for the Owls, who shot 37 percent (25-of-67).
- LAS VEGAS CLASSIC
NCAA BB LAS VEGAS CLASSIC
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
KENNESAW ST 32 33 65
WICHITA ST (8) 35 39 74 FINAL
Dec 19 9:59 PM
- LAS VEGAS CLASSIC
NCAA BB KENNESAW ST 32
WICHITA ST (8) 35 HALFTIME
Dec 19 8:50 PM
- Wichita State Shockers face Miami, ready to keep on shocking Mar 18
- Wichita State ready to keep rolling, faces Arizona Mar 16
- Wichita State back healthy, faces Vanderbilt in First Four Mar 15
- No. 22 Wichita St uses balanced scoring to top Loyola 80-54 Jan 28
- New Mexico State, Wichita State to play makeup game Feb. 15 Jan 18
- Winter storm forces New Mexico St-Wichita St postponement Dec 28
- Ray, Kennesaw State pull away for 69-59 win over Thomas (Ga) Dec 7
- Wichita State says F Grady's back injury improving Nov 28
- Grady hurt in No. 20 Wichita State loss to Alabama Nov 27
- Arizona State rolls over Kennesaw State 91-53 Nov 18
- No. 10 Shockers enter season with high expectations again Nov 3
- Kennesaw State names Al Skinner men's hoops coach Apr 26