Fazekas, Sessions lead Nevada past GonzagaDec 31, 2006 - 6:49 AM SEATTLE (Ticker) -- Ramon Sessions picked up for Nick Fazekas down the stretch to lift Nevada.
Fazekas scored 24 points and grabbed nine rebounds and Sessions added 20 to lead the No. 18 Wolfpack to an 82-74 victory over Gonzaga.
The 6-11 Fazekas fouled out with 5:18 remaining and with him on the bench, the Bulldogs (9-5) took a 67-61 advantage, going on a 6-0 run capped by Josh Heytvelt's layup with 3:54 remaining.
"I knew they had it in them," Fazekas said. "It's the hardest thing in the world to sit over there and not be able to help your team, but I've got great teammates. These guys are tough and they got the job done."
The Wolfpack (12-1) answered with a 14-0 spurt as Sessions scored seven points to put the game away.
Sessions nailed a 3-pointer as the shot clock expired with 1:21 to play that snapped a 67-67 tie for Nevada, which shot 48 percent (28-of-58) from the field.
Jeremy Pargo scored 18 points and Derek Raivio added 15 for Gonzaga, which shot 47 percent (26-of-55).
"It seemed like they made a conscious effort to try and deny me the ball, but even doing that, I still got some looks and we still had a great chance to win that game," Raivio said. "We just didn't do the things down the stretch to do that."
The Bulldogs held a 32-18 advantage with 3:31 remaining in the first half, but the Wolfpack closed on an 11-0 run, including three straight 3-pointers to head to halftime down, 32-29.
"That was a heck of a ballgame that had a lot of swings to it," Bulldogs coach Mark Few said. "I got to give Nevada a lot of credit. They lose their best player and they stepped up and made some winning plays down the stretch of that game, and that's what got it done."
- AT SEATTLE WA
NCAA BB FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
NEVADA (18) 29 53 82
GONZAGA 32 42 74 FINAL
Dec 30 8:07 PM
- AT SEATTLE WA
NCAA BB NEVADA (18) 29
GONZAGA 32 HALFTIME
Dec 30 6:54 PM
- AP Source: Former UNLV coach Dave Rice hired at Nevada Apr 25
- Nevada defends hire of Cal assistant accused of harassment Apr 15
- Nevada hires former Cal assistant Yann Hufnagel Apr 9
- Gonzaga's Domantas Sabonis declares for NBA draft Apr 7
- Timeline: NCAA calls Zags coach to admit officiating error Apr 1
- Gonzaga loses 63-60 to Syracuse in Sweet 16 Mar 26
- Gonzaga taking on Syracuse's vaunted zone in Sweet 16 Mar 25
- Coach Mark Few wants Gonzaga to keep chip on its shoulder Mar 23
- Wiltjer helps deliver Gonzaga back to Sweet 16 Mar 21
- Air up there: Zags, Utah features rare meeting of big men Mar 18
- Zags: Gonzaga moves on with 68-52 victory over Seton Hall Mar 18
- Gordon making history, but in a quiet way, for Seton Hall Mar 17