Carter, Falls lead Notre Dame past Stony BrookDec 31, 2006 - 8:19 AM SOUTH BEND, Indiana (Ticker) -- Russell Carter and Colin Falls were deadly from 3-point range.
Carter scored 23 points and Falls added 17 to lead No. 24 Notre Dame to a 95-66 triumph over Stony Brook.
A 6-4 senior, Carter shot 7-of-11 from long range and Falls went 5-of-7 from the arc, giving the Fighting Irish (12-1) the decisive edge in the game.
Notre Dame played without starting guard Kyle McAlarney, who was suspended indefinitely after being arrested on charges of marijuana possession early Friday.
McAlarney, who made seven 3-pointers against Rider Friday, averages 10.3 points per contest and had started the first 12 games of the season.
The Seawolves (5-7) played tough early, trailing, 14-12, with 13:38 left in the first half. However, the Irish went on a 19-6 run that Rob Kurz capped with a free throw with 8:20 left. Notre Dame went to the half with a 43-28 lead.
Stony Brook, which shot 46 percent (23-of-50) from the floor, managed to cut the deficit to 49-39 with just under 15 minutes to play, but Carter and Falls drilled bookend 3-pointers during a 13-0 spurt, raising Notre Dame's lead to 62-39 with 11:55 left.
Mitchell Beauford and Mike Popoko had 14 points each for the Seawolves, who dropped their second straight road game.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
STONY BROOK 28 38 66
NOTRE DAME (24) 43 52 95 FINAL
Dec 30 6:02 PM
- NCAA BB
STONY BROOK 28
NOTRE DAME (24) 43 HALFTIME
Dec 30 4:57 PM
- Beachem says he'll be back at Notre Dame for senior season May 1
- Notre Dame's Beachem enters NBA draft, won't hire an agent Apr 12
- Stony Brook hires Ohio State's Boals as basketball coach Apr 9
- Jackson: Meeting with Brey, NCAA play led him to opt for NBA Mar 30
- Notre Dame's Jackson decides to enter NBA draft Mar 29
- Brey: Notre Dame's Jackson has to explore entering NBA draft Mar 28
- Notre Dame can't find one last run to beat North Carolina Mar 28
- North Carolina and Notre Dame know each other well Mar 26
- Wisconsin's road to 3rd straight Final 4 runs through Irish Mar 25
- Notre Dame finally finding March success under Brey Mar 23
- ND's Auguste at best in March, shooting 86 percent in NCAAs Mar 22
- Doing it all: Versatile Walkup, Stephen F. Austin face Irish Mar 19