3-point barrage carries Butler past Illinois-ChicagoJan 30, 2007 - 6:03 AM INDIANAPOLIS (Ticker) -- Butler got its revenge and meted out a little punishment along the way.
Pete Campbell scored 17 points as the 11th-ranked Bulldogs used a dazzling display of 3-point shooting to crush Illinois-Chicago, 71-45, in a Horizon League contest.
Butler (20-2, 8-1 Horizon) had suffered its only league loss at Illinois-Chicago, 73-67, in overtime on January 10 and quickly showed there would be no encore.
The Bulldogs torched the Flames with a barrage of 3-pointers, racing out to a 17-3 lead with five different players connecting from the arc on their first five attempts.
Illinois-Chicago temporarily slowed the onslaught and was within 19-7 midway through the half, but Butler went on a 12-0 run that featured 3-pointers by A.J. Graves and Campbell for a 31-7 lead with 4:50 left.
The Bulldogs went to halftime ahead, 39-16, following a pair of 3-pointers by Campbell en route to winning their sixth straight contest and extending its home winning streak to 20 games.
In the opening 20 minutes, the Bulldogs were 9-of-17 from the arc, including 4-of-6 by Campbell, who has been on an amazing shooting spree from long distance in 2007.
The team's sixth man for most of the season, Campbell hit 5-of-8 3-pointers and is hitting 59 percent (29-of-49) from the arc in his last eight games.
Conversely, the Flames (9-14, 4-6) were dreadful from 3-point range, missing all seven attempts in the first half and finishing 2-of-16 in tumbling to their sixth consecutive defeat.
Mike Green scored 16 points, grabbed eight rebounds and handed out six assists for Butler, which built the lead to 30 points, 51-21, less than seven minutes into the second half and coasted to its 10th win in 11 games.
The romp gave the Bulldogs a chance to rest their top players. Leading scorer Graves scored just six points. The nation's leading free-throw shooter at 97 percent, he didn't even get to the line.
Othyus Jeffers was the only player in double figures for Illinois-Chicago with 17 points to go along with 11 rebounds
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
ILLINOIS CHI 16 29 45
BUTLER (11) 39 32 71 FINAL
Jan 29 8:53 PM
- NCAA BB
ILLINOIS CHI 16
BUTLER (11) 39 HALFTIME
Jan 29 7:50 PM
- Butler basketball coach agrees to contract extension May 18
- Butler fills assistant coaching void with hire of Schrage May 12
- Butler adds graduate transfer Avery Woodson to roster Apr 25
- Butler partners with bone marrow registry in Smith's honor Mar 18
- Shut out of NCAA games, Butler's mascot hard at work outside Mar 18
- No. 1 seed Virginia prepares for 2nd-round test from Butler Mar 18
- Smith leads 5th school to NCAAs as Texas Tech faces Butler Mar 16
- Emotional season helps Butler finds its way to NCAA tourney Mar 15
- No. 16 Providence rallies late, downs No. 18 Butler 71-68 Jan 19
- No. 24 Butler changing script with more offensive power Nov 9
- Butler gives Holtmann contract extension Mar 30
- UIC hires McClain as men's basketball coach Mar 23