Douglas-Roberts, Dorsey lead Memphis in rout of UCFFeb 1, 2007 - 4:53 AM ORLANDO, Florida (Ticker) -- It appears Chris Douglas-Roberts' ankle is feeling just fine.
The sophomore guard scored 15 of his 23 points in the first half as 12th-ranked Memphis won its 10th straight game and broke out of a shooting slump with an 87-65 victory over Central Florida in a Conference USA contest.
Joey Dorsey added 22 points for Memphis (18-3, 8-0 C-USA), which shot 58 percent (33-of-57) from the floor after shooting just 36.5 percent from the floor in the last three games.
Douglas-Roberts, who scored 15 points in Saturday's 67-64 win over Southern Mississippi after missing the previous three games with a sprained ankle, was unstoppable in the first half. He shot 5-of-7 and added three assists and two steals as Memphis shot 59 percent (16-of-27) and forced 12 turnovers to forge a 42-27 lead.
"Give Memphis credit. They are the No. 11 team in the nation for a reason," Central Florida coach Kirk Speraw said. "Our main priority was to take care of the basketball and we didn't. We couldn't follow a good bucket with a stop. It was probably our worst game all year executing the defensive gameplan."
The Golden Knights got within 12 points early in the second half but a quick 9-0 run over 90 seconds pushed the advantage to 73-46 with seven minutes left. Jeremy Hunt hit a jumper, Robert Dozier and Dorsey added dunks and freshman Willie Kemp capped the run with a 3-pointer.
Roberts finished 9-of-13 and Dorsey was 10-of-13 with nine rebounds - including seven offensive.
Josh Peppers scored 20 points for Central Florida (15-6, 4-3), which finished with 22 turnovers and dropped to 1-16 all-time against ranked teams.
The loss ended the Golden Knights' 12-game home winning streak.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
MEMPHIS (12) 42 45 87
UCF 27 38 65 FINAL
Jan 31 9:00 PM
- NCAA BB
MEMPHIS (12) 42
UCF 27 HALFTIME
Jan 31 7:52 PM
- Tubby Smith adds 4 assistants to his Memphis coaching staff May 10
- Memphis hires Tubby Smith as Tigers' new basketball coach Apr 14
- UCF introduces Johnny Dawkins as new men's basketball coach Mar 24
- UCF hires Johnny Dawkins as next men's basketball coach Mar 23
- Memphis reviewing possible AD, coach conflict of interest Mar 22
- Josh Pastner to stay at Memphis despite missing NCAAs again Mar 18
- UCF fires coach Donnie Jones following loss in AAC tourney Mar 11
- American Athletic Conference suspends Memphis' Shaq Goodwin Jan 5
- UCF's Taylor to miss remainder of season with leg injury Dec 23
- NCAA clears UCF 7-foot-6 recruit Tacko Fall to play Nov 13
- UCF files for academic waiver for 7-6 recruit Tacko Fall Nov 12
- Eligibility of 7-foot-6 UCF recruit in doubt as season nears Nov 10