Mattis leads South Florida over No. 19 Notre DameFeb 4, 2007 - 4:48 AM TAMPA, Florida (Ticker) -- McHugh Mattis came up huge down the stretch to knock down a league powerhouse.
Mattis scored 13 of his 23 points in the second half and grabbed 16 rebounds to lead South Florida to a 69-63 upset victory over No. 19 Notre Dame in Big East Conference play.
A 6-6 senior, Mattis scored eight points during a key 14-4 run capped by Adamu Saaka's two free throws with 45 seconds remaining that snapped a 51-51 tie and gave the Bulls (12-11, 3-6 Big East) an insurmountable 65-55 advantage.
Melvin Buckley scored 11 points for South Florida, which shot 40 percent (23-of-58) and outscored the Fighting Irish in the paint by a 32-20 margin.
Colin Falls scored 26 points and Russell Carter added 14 for the Irish (18-5, 6-4), who shot 38 percent (24-of-64) from the field.
The Bulls held a 21-20 advantage with 5:31 remaining in the opening half and finished on a 10-6 spurt to head to halftime with a 31-26 lead.
Notre Dame dropped to 1-4 on the road this season after earning its first road victory against Syracuse on Tuesday night.
The Fighting Irish came into the contest leading the Big East in points with an 83.4 average.
- Beachem says he'll be back at Notre Dame for senior season May 1
- Notre Dame's Beachem enters NBA draft, won't hire an agent Apr 12
- Jackson: Meeting with Brey, NCAA play led him to opt for NBA Mar 30
- Notre Dame's Jackson decides to enter NBA draft Mar 29
- Brey: Notre Dame's Jackson has to explore entering NBA draft Mar 28
- Notre Dame can't find one last run to beat North Carolina Mar 28
- North Carolina and Notre Dame know each other well Mar 26
- Wisconsin's road to 3rd straight Final 4 runs through Irish Mar 25
- Notre Dame finally finding March success under Brey Mar 23
- ND's Auguste at best in March, shooting 86 percent in NCAAs Mar 22
- Doing it all: Versatile Walkup, Stephen F. Austin face Irish Mar 19
- Michigan-Notre Dame is still a great rivalry Mar 17