Campbell, Butler shoot down Cleveland StateFeb 9, 2007 - 2:19 AM Cleveland (Ticker) -- Pete Campbell stayed in a zone to help Butler shatter a pair of records.
Campbell hit eight 3-pointers and scored 28 points to power the ninth-ranked Bulldogs to a 92-50 romp over Cleveland State in a Horizon League matchup.
Butler (23-2, 11-1 Horizon) extended its winning streak to nine games by raining down 3-pointers on the overmatched Vikings, setting a school and conference record by making 20-of-33 shots from the arc.
The Bulldogs held the previous mark of 18 set against Detroit on February 18, 2006.
Sixth-man extraordinaire Campbell led the way, hitting his first five shots from the arc to spark the Bulldogs to a 29-10 lead 11 minutes into the game.
In reaching double figures for the 10th time in his last 11 games, Campbell finished 8-of-11 from the arc, continuing a stunning streak of outside marksmanship.
The junior forward is shooting 62 percent (44-of-71) from 3-point range in the last 11 contests, a stunning turnaround for a player who did not score more than eight points in the first 13 games of the season.
Campbell's first 3-pointer made it 15-4 with 13:40 left in the half and he soon rattled off four in a row from the arc in a 2 1/2-minute span to build the lead to 29-10. He capped off the first half with another 3-pointer - Butler's 12th of the half and his sixth - for a 45-25 lead at the break.
Mike Green scored 14 points, Brandon Crone added 13 and A.J. Graves 12 as the Bulldogs shot 65 percent (33-of-51) from the floor.
J'Nathan Bullock led Cleveland State with 18 points, including 12 in the opening 20 minutes.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
BUTLER (9) 45 47 92
CLEVELAND ST 25 25 50 FINAL
Feb 8 8:39 PM
- NCAA BB
BUTLER (9) 45
CLEVELAND ST 25 HALFTIME
Feb 8 7:46 PM
- Butler basketball coach agrees to contract extension May 18
- Butler fills assistant coaching void with hire of Schrage May 12
- Butler adds graduate transfer Avery Woodson to roster Apr 25
- Butler partners with bone marrow registry in Smith's honor Mar 18
- Shut out of NCAA games, Butler's mascot hard at work outside Mar 18
- No. 1 seed Virginia prepares for 2nd-round test from Butler Mar 18
- Smith leads 5th school to NCAAs as Texas Tech faces Butler Mar 16
- Emotional season helps Butler finds its way to NCAA tourney Mar 15
- No. 16 Providence rallies late, downs No. 18 Butler 71-68 Jan 19
- No. 24 Butler changing script with more offensive power Nov 9
- Butler gives Holtmann contract extension Mar 30
- Notre Dame needs OT to beat Butler Mar 22