No. 12 Georgetown captures 10th straight winFeb 22, 2007 - 2:32 AM CINCINNATI (Ticker) -- Georgetown's Jeff Green helped extend a couple of streaks.
Green scored 21 points and Jonathan Wallace added 17 as the 12th-ranked Hoyas pushed their winning streak to 10 games with a 75-65 victory over Cincinnati in a Big East Conference matchup.
The win helped Georgetown (21-5, 11-2 Big East) moved into a tie with the school's 1984-85 squad with 10 straight wins against conference opponents.
Green, who was named Big East Player of the Week on Monday, shot 6-of-10, including 2-of-3 from 3-point range, and made 7-of-8 free throws.
Connor Barwin converted a three-point play and John Williamson had a layup to give Cincinnati a 24-14 advantage with 9:28 remaining.
However, Georgetown battled back to grab the lead for good behind an impressive 23-7 surge to finish out the first half. The Hoyas connected on four 3-pointers during that stretch.
In the second half, the Bearcats were able to cut the deficit to 44-41 on Williamson's basket with just over 14 minutes left to play.
But Georgetown once again created some distance with a 10-2 burst, extending the lead to 54-43 on a driving layup by Jessie Sapp with 10:27 to go.
Cincinnati (10-17, 1-12) was never able to recover thereafter, collecting its nine consecutive defeat.
Deonta Vaughn netted 19 points and Williamson had 15 and seven rebounds for the Bearcats, who shot 41 percent (23-of-55) from the field.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
GEORGETOWN (12) 37 38 75
CINCINNATI 31 34 65 FINAL
Feb 21 9:03 PM
- NCAA BB
GEORGETOWN (12) 40
CINCINNATI 31 0:00 LEFT, 2ND HALF
Feb 21 8:05 PM
- NCAA BB
GEORGETOWN (12) 37
CINCINNATI 31 HALFTIME
Feb 21 7:47 PM
- Cincinnati says Mick Cronin is staying after talks with UNLV Mar 25
- A late dunk, a last-second 3 add to Cincinnati's heartbreak Mar 21
- Saint Joseph's and Cincinnati to play in 1st round of NCAAs Mar 17
- Georgetown already has 5 losses entering Big East play Dec 30
- Cincinnati routs Robert Morris 106-44 Nov 15
- Georgetown Capsule Nov 4
- With Smith-Rivera back, Georgetown eyes better NCAA showing Nov 4
- Georgetown G Smith-Rivera to enter NBA Draft Mar 31
- Utah tops Georgetown, makes 1st Sweet 16 in 10 years Mar 21
- Still-unbeaten Kentucky grinds out win over Cincinnati Mar 21
- Utes and Hoyas meet in third round of NCAA Tournament Mar 21
- Bearcats on tap to test undefeated Wildcats Mar 21