Young, BYU top Colorado State to continue home successFeb 22, 2007 - 6:22 AM PROVO, Utah (Ticker) -- Keena Young and Brigham Young are good everywhere but nearly unbeatable at home.
Young scored 24 points and Lee Cummard added 20 as the 22nd-ranked Cougars survived a poor shooting night to post their eighth straight win, a 76-67 victory over Colorado State in a Mountain West Conference clash.
Austin Ainge scored 13 points for BYU, which shot just 45 percent (25-of-56) from the field and 2-of-17 on 3-pointers but improved to 16-0 at home this season and won its 23rd conference game in its last 29 attempts.
"I thought it was a good team win," Cougars coach Dave Rose said. "We defended well, rebounded well and got a good win despite not shooting the ball that well. Every game takes on its own personality. Tonight was a grind-it-out type of game."
The Cougars entered as the conference leader in points (78.3), rebounds (37.8) and assists (16.5). They continued their stellar play on Wednesday, winning their 30th straight home contest to tie Air Force for the nation's longest streak.
Coming off an impressive performance in last Wednesday's win over New Mexico, Young shot 10-of-15 from the floor. Cummard was 5-of-7 from the field and 10-of-10 from the free-throw line.
"You can see improvement in Keena," Rose said. "He is a hard worker. He knows how to attack bigger guys. At times, he made some great moves. Lee gets himself in position to make big plays. He hit some big free throws in the second half."
Controlling their own destiny, the Cougars entered the game with a 1 1/2-game lead over the Falcons and Nevada-Las Vegas and can secure the regular-season conference title by winning their last three contests.
Jason Smith scored 20 points for the Rams (15-11, 5-9), who shot 51 percent (26-of-51) and committed 20 turnovers.
"Turnovers really killed us," Colorado State coach Dale Layer said. "You can't give BYU 20 extra possessions and win here in the Marriott Center."
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
COLORADO ST 28 39 67
BYU (22) 37 39 76 FINAL
Feb 22 12:08 AM
- NCAA BB
COLORADO ST 28
BYU (22) 37 HALFTIME
Feb 21 10:55 PM
- BYU freshman phenom Emery having record-setting season Feb 26
- BYU escapes with 69-67 win over San Diego Feb 19
- Utah coach says 'toxic' atmosphere halted BYU series Jan 11
- Utah cancels basketball game against BYU next season Jan 6
- Colorado St. extends Eustachy, contract runs through 2019 Dec 8
- BYU guard Nick Emery suspended 1 game for punching opponent Dec 3
- BYU's Kyle Collinsworth relishes Mr. Triple-Double title Dec 3
- No. 17 Oklahoma women rebound to defeat BYU 73-47 Nov 19
- Ole Miss surges back to beat BYU in Dayton Mar 18
- BYU and Ole Miss meet in NCAA Tournament's first round Mar 17
- No. 7 Gonzaga beats BYU to win 14th WCC title Mar 11
- Bulldogs and Cougars collide in WCC title game Mar 10