Scheyer leads Duke to victory over ClemsonFeb 23, 2007 - 7:33 AM CLEMSON, South Carolina (Ticker) -- Jon Scheyer and Duke may have burst Clemson's NCAA Tournament bubble.
A sharp-shooting freshman, Scheyer scored 18 points and the 17th-ranked Blue Devils withstood a second-half Clemson rally to post a 71-66 victory in an Atlantic Coast Conference matchup.
Duke went on a 29-6 run to take a 42-21 lead at the half. Clemson responded with a 21-5 run over the first 10 minutes of the second half, but when the Blue Devils needed a big shot Scheyer was there to come through.
Scheyer was 5-of-6 from the field, including 3-of-3 from the arc. After Clemson pulled within 51-45, Duke settled down and Scheyer hit a pair of 3-pointers, the second giving the Blue Devils a 62-52 lead with 3:54 to play.
Four free throws by Scheyer in the final 15 seconds iced the game for Duke (21-7, 8-6 ACC), which has won three straight after a four-game losing streak.
The Tigers continue to struggle after beginning the season with 17 straight wins. They now have lost eight of their last 10 games to move onto the NCAA Tournament bubble.
Vernon Hamilton and Cliff Hammonds each scored 14 points for Clemson (19-8, 5-8).
The Tigers should have figured they would have a tough time breaking out of their slump against the Blue Devils. Duke has won 21 straight over Clemson and is 45-9 against the Tigers under coach Mike Krzyzewski.
DeMarcus Nelson scored 16 points, Greg Paulus had 14 and Josh McRoberts added 10 for Duke.
The Tigers missed 13 straight shots at one point in the first half and had only six field goals in the opening 20 minutes. Clemson found the range in the second half, hitting 10 of their first 14 shots to get back in the game.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
DUKE (17) 42 29 71
CLEMSON 21 45 66 FINAL
Feb 22 11:16 PM
- NCAA BB
DUKE (17) 42
CLEMSON 21 HALFTIME
Feb 22 10:02 PM
- Krzyzewski has hernia surgery, expects to be healthy for Rio May 9
- Duke's Grayson Allen has hernia surgery Apr 22
- Duke's Jefferson receives medical hardship waiver Apr 22
- Duke freshman guard Derryck Thornton to transfer Apr 10
- Grayson Allen to return to Duke for junior season Apr 6
- Duke's Brandon Ingram declares for NBA Draft after 1 season Apr 4
- Duke: Coach K recovering from knee replacement surgery Apr 3
- Duke ends with longer-than-expected NCAA run, short bench Mar 25
- Duke's title defense ends with 82-68 loss to Oregon Mar 25
- Oregon takes the national stage against defending champ Duke Mar 23
- Defending champ Duke, upstart Yale ready for 2nd round clash Mar 18
- It's David vs. Goliath when UNC Wilmington meets Duke Mar 17