Kemp, Fazekas lead Nevada to easy road winNov 16, 2006 - 5:40 AM CORVALLIS, Oregon (Ticker) -- Nevada's Marcelus Kemp felt so good shooting 3-pointers in a 23-point win vs. Alaska-Anchorage last Friday that he decided not to stop.
Kemp scored 29 points, including 15 from 3-point range, as No. 23 Nevada posted a 75-47 victory against Oregon State.
Wooden Award candidate Nick Fazekas added 19 points and tied a career high with 18 rebounds for the Wolf Pack, who have won four straight vs. the Beavers.
"He (Fazekas) is going to go into every game with the other team trying to stop him," Nevada coach Mark Fox said.
A 6-5, 210-pound junior, Kemp made 5-of-6 from the arc against Oregon State after making 5-of-8 in an 85-62 win vs. the Seahawks last week.
"My shot was falling and my confidence got high, so that helped me," Kemp said.
The Wolf Pack (2-0) led, 61-47, with 5:18 remaining before ending the game on a 14-0 run.
"It took us a little while to adjust to playing at a high level," Fox said. "We certainly had to adjust to playing here and it took us a few minutes to shake the rust off."
Kemp was 11-of-19 from the field for Nevada, which shot 50 percent (30-of-60) from the field.
"A lot of teams will double-team Nick, so all the other players have to step up and make plays," Kemp said.
Angelo Tsagarakis scored 11 points and Kyle Jeffers added 10 and grabbed eight rebounds for the Beavers (2-2), who shot a dismal 29 percent (18-of-62) and fell to 4-4 all-time vs the Wolf Pack.
"We just started feeling sorry for ourselves when the ball wasn't going in the basket, so we didn't defend quite as hard," Oregon State coach Jay John said. "They didn't do anything different in the last 10 minutes than they did in the first 30, but that's when things got away from us."
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- AP Source: Former UNLV coach Dave Rice hired at Nevada Apr 25
- Nevada defends hire of Cal assistant accused of harassment Apr 15
- Nevada hires former Cal assistant Yann Hufnagel Apr 9
- Beavers bummed about early exit, but excited for the future Mar 19
- Payton II following in father's NCAA footsteps at Oregon St Mar 17
- Pac-12 says end of Washington-Oregon State handled properly Feb 25
- No. 11 Oregon State women grind out 61-47 win over Colorado Jan 24
- West leaves Nevada hoops; ex-star cites personal reasons Dec 15
- Oregon State Preview Capsule Oct 28
- Oregon State Beavers no longer the Pac-12 surprise Oct 28
- Nevada picks Eric Musselman as men's coach Mar 25
- No. 9 Utah tops Oregon State in defensive battle Feb 20