Williams leads No. 16 Arizona over UNLVNov 29, 2006 - 5:46 AM TUCSON, Arizona (Ticker) -- Marcus Williams was all over the court against UNLV.
Williams collected 24 points, eight rebounds and four steals for 16th-ranked Arizona en route to an 89-75 thrashing of the Runnin' Rebels in a non-conference matchup.
A 6-7 sophomore, Williams made 10-of-15 shots, including all four of his 3-pointers.
"Coach (Lute Olson) emphasized that we get the ball to the post, which set us up for some easy buckets," Williams said. "I think we match up well with pretty much anyone. We want to make our opponent believe they can't beat us from the beginning of the game."
"He had a great game," Arizona freshman forward Chase Budinger said of Williams. "His play really got us going."
Ivan Radenovic scored 27 points and Budinger chipped in 15 and 11 rebounds for Arizona (4-1), which has won four straight games since dropping its season opener at Virginia.
"The guys did a nice job moving the ball," Olson said. "I told them that any time Ivan is open to get him the pass because he does a nice job finding the openings and getting the good shots."
The game was tied at 29-29 with six minutes left in the first half before the Wildcats took the lead for good behind an impressive 17-7 surge that was capped by Williams' 3-pointer at the buzzer.
Arizona wasted no time adding to its lead after intermission, using a 14-4 burst to push the advantage to 60-40 with 15:40 remaining. Williams, Radenovic and Budinger combined for 13 points during the run.
"Early in the game, we were not hitting our shots and a couple of turnovers hurt us, and UNLV was hitting the offensive boards," Budinger said. "In the second half, we stepped up our D and got up and down in transition."
Wendell White scored 18 points and Kevin Kruger added 16 for the Runnin' Rebels (4-2), who shot 42 percent (30-of-70) from the field.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Menzies adds 3 more to UNLV recruiting class May 19
- Pitts transferring from Arizona May 17
- UNLV's Menzies fills out staff with 3 hires May 5
- UNLV approves $3.75 million contract for Marvin Menzies Apr 22
- UNLV hires Menzies as basketball coach after Beard bolts Apr 17
- UNLV introduces Chris Beard as Runnin' Rebels coach Apr 8
- Arizona guard Allonzo Trier returning for sophomore season Apr 4
- UNLV hires Little Rock's Chris Beard as next coach Mar 28
- Arizona's Justin Simon transferring after 1 season Mar 28
- Arizona falters against Wichita State, loses 65-55 Mar 18
- Wichita State ready to keep rolling, faces Arizona Mar 16
- UNLV freshman Jones Jr. ineligible for rest of the season Mar 2