Davis, Martin lead LSU past Louisiana TechDec 24, 2006 - 1:04 AM BATON ROUGE, Louisiana (Ticker) -- Glen "Big Baby" Davis had 23 points and 14 rebounds and Terry Martin scored 19 points to lead No. 15 Louisiana State to a 68-52 triumph over Louisiana Tech.
A powerful post player who weighs 290 pounds, Davis was defended tough in the paint and made just 4-of-11 shots. However, he got to the line, where he made 15-of-18 free throws, including 10-of-12 in the second half.
"It was a good win," LSU coach John Brady said. "We got an opportunity to work against a lot of zone (defense). We didn't shoot the ball as well as I would have liked outside of Terry Martin from the perimeter, but it manufactured 18 free throws for Glen."
The Bulldogs (2-9) cut the deficit to 40-33 on Chad McKenzie's layup with 14:50 to play. The Tigers (7-3) responded with a 13-2 run highlighted by Martin's 3-pointer with 9:13 remaining.
LSU used a 10-0 run to take an 11-4 lead. The Tigers opened the advantage to 33-22 at halftime as Martin scored 13 points.
Trey McDowell scored 19 points for Louisiana Tech, which shot under 36 percent (21-of-59).
The Tigers outrebounded the Bulldogs, 45-25, and netted 16 second-chance points to Louisiana Tech's four.
"We got on the boards well," Brady said. "We had 15 offensive rebounds, 45 boards overall. I think that was the difference of the game."
LSU won despite poor performances from Tasmin Mitchell and Garrett Temple, two of its leading scorers.
Mitchell, averaging just under 15 points, shot 4-of-11 and scored nine points. Temple, averaging just under 13 points, was 2-of-6 for six.
"We looked like at times offensively we struggled a little bit," Brady said. "I think it is just because Tasmin and Garrett didn't have one of their better shooting nights from the perimeter."
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
LOUISIANA TECH 22 30 52
LSU (15) 33 35 68 FINAL
Dec 23 5:49 PM
- NCAA BB
LOUISIANA TECH 22
LSU (15) 33 HALFTIME
Dec 23 4:49 PM
- LSU coach: Guard Tim Quarterman leaving for NBA draft Mar 28
- LSU freshman Ben Simmons announces he'll enter the NBA draft Mar 21
- LSU coach takes responsibility for disappointing season Mar 15
- LSU coach: Tigers won't play in any postseason tourneys Mar 13
- LSU says Ben Simmons ineligible for Wooden Award Mar 5
- Simmons confident LSU will raise game vs. tougher schedule Dec 28
- Fast start by LSU's Simmons compares well to recent greats Dec 4
- LSU hoping Simmons, Blakeney make Tigers an SEC power Oct 29
- LSU embracing hype, expectations, surrounding Simmons Oct 14
- LSU's Mickey declares for NBA Draft Mar 31
- LSU sophomore Martin to enter NBA Draft Mar 25
- NC State stuns LSU on buzzer-beater Mar 20