Taylor, Oregon stay unbeaten, edge rival Oregon StateDec 31, 2006 - 6:51 AM CORVALLIS, Oregon (Ticker) -- Bryce Taylor and Oregon wanted to do something the program had not done in nearly 70 years.
Taylor scored 22 points and grabbed a team-high nine rebounds as No. 20 Oregon posted a 76-73 victory over intrastate rival Oregon State in the Pac-10 Conference opener for both schools.
Maarty Leunen had 14 points and Aaron Brooks added 13 and six assists for the Ducks, who started 13-0 for the first time since 1937-38 season.
"If this team is going to be a great team this year, it has to continue to play defense, and I thought that was the difference in the game," Oregon coach Ernie Kent said.
Taylor shot 10-of-16 from the field and Leunen was 3-of-3 from 3-point range for Oregon, which shot 46 percent (25-of-54) in winning here for the first time in three years.
"This is our third road win, with one neutral victory as well, and it was another tough ballgame," Kent said. "We played through some tough situations down the stretch where calls didn't go our way in the last four or five minutes, yet we hung in there, knocked down our free throws."
Marcel Jones and Sasa Cuic each had 16 points and Josh Tarver added 15 and three steals for the Beavers, who shot 52 percent (30-of-58) from the field.
"We had our chances," Oregon State coach Jay John said. "The guys played extremely hard, and defensively, I thought we played well the entire game."
Jones also had 10 rebounds for Oregon State (8-6, 0-1 Pac-10), which has lost nine straight games to Oregon when the Ducks are ranked.
"Offensively, we haven't shot 50 percent against a quality opponent all year, so we did some very good things," John said. "The unfortunate thing is Oregon hit their threes in the end and got to the free-throw line more than we did."
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
OREGON (20) 41 35 76
OREGON ST 34 39 73 FINAL
Dec 30 5:57 PM
- NCAA BB
OREGON (20) 41
OREGON ST 34 HALFTIME
Dec 30 4:47 PM
- Altman on Coach K: 'I had no problem with what he did' Apr 1
- Coach K apologizes to Altman for postgame chat with Brooks Mar 26
- Altman backs Brooks after late-game drama with Coach K Mar 26
- Oklahoma's Kruger, Oregon's Altman test bond in Elite Eight Mar 25
- Oregon takes the national stage against defending champ Duke Mar 23
- Versatility a key as top-seed Oregon faces St. Joseph's Mar 19
- Beavers bummed about early exit, but excited for the future Mar 19
- Tyler Dorsey a catalyst to Oregon's surge for No. 1 seed Mar 17
- Payton II following in father's NCAA footsteps at Oregon St Mar 17
- Oregon's rise on national stage highlighted by top seed Mar 15
- Power outage briefly cuts lights at Oregon-USC game Mar 5
- Oregon breaks into top 10, highest ranking since '07 Feb 29