Stout leads Northern Iowa to upset of Wichita StateDec 31, 2006 - 8:20 AM WICHITA, Kansas (Ticker) -- Grant Stout scored 17 points to lead Northern Iowa to a 63-59 upset victory over No. 16 Wichita State.
Stout, a senior forward, shot 8-of-15 from the field to help the Panthers improve to 11-2 overall and 2-0 in Missouri Valley Conference play.
The 17 points was a season high for Stout, who only scored 20 points combined in his previous two games.
Kyle Wilson scored 18 points to lead the Shockers (9-3, 0-1), who tumbled to their third straight defeat.
The 18 points was a nice comeback effort for Wilson, who was held to only 11 in a 60-56 loss to Southern California on December 23.
Brooks McKowen scored 13 and Eric Coleman added 11 for Northern Iowa, which overcame a 25-22 halftime deficit by outscoring Wichita State, 41-34, in the second half.
Phillip Thomasson added 12 points for the Shockers, who shot 37 percent (22-of-59).
The Panthers also struggled shooting the ball, making 40 percent (21-of-53) from the field.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
NORTHERN IOWA 22 41 63
WICHITA ST (16) 25 34 59 FINAL
Dec 30 10:44 PM
- NCAA BB
NORTHERN IOWA 22
WICHITA ST (16) 25 HALFTIME
Dec 30 9:32 PM
- Texas A&M downs N Iowa with historic last-minute comeback Mar 21
- Experienced Panthers eager to carry momentum forward Mar 19
- Jesperson's halfcourt shot puts Northern Iowa past Texas Mar 19
- Wichita State Shockers face Miami, ready to keep on shocking Mar 18
- First-year Texas coach Smart no longer the underdog Mar 17
- Wichita State ready to keep rolling, faces Arizona Mar 16
- Wichita State back healthy, faces Vanderbilt in First Four Mar 15
- No. 22 Wichita St uses balanced scoring to top Loyola 80-54 Jan 28
- New Mexico State, Wichita State to play makeup game Feb. 15 Jan 18
- Winter storm forces New Mexico St-Wichita St postponement Dec 28
- Wichita State says F Grady's back injury improving Nov 28
- Grady hurt in No. 20 Wichita State loss to Alabama Nov 27