UCLA beats Oregon State to remain unbeatenJan 5, 2007 - 6:20 AM CORVALLIS, Oregon (Ticker) -- Josh Shipp and UCLA still are floating along.
Shipp scored 18 points as top-ranked UCLA remained unbeaten with a 71-56 Pac-10 Conference victory over Oregon State.
Arron Afflalo added 14 points for the Bruins (14-0, 3-0 Pac-10), who held just a 36-30 halftime lead before gradually pulling away over the final 20 minutes in their first true road game of the season.
"It's always tough to play on the road," UCLA coach Ben Howland said. "We came out in the second half and played better than the first."
Shipp's layup with under 15 minutes remaining capped an 11-6 surge to open the second half, which gave the Bruins a 47-36 advantage. They led by double digits thereafter.
"We came out to a slow start during our first true road game," Shipp said. "We didn't get out to the start we would have liked, but we came out in the second half and pushed tempo a little bit, got some turnovers and extended the lead."
Afflalo, who had just one basket in the first half, sank two free throws with 7:01 left to give the Bruins their biggest lead at 56-40. He finished 4-of-8 from the floor.
Luc Richard Mbah a Moute and Darren Collison added 11 points apiece for the Bruins, who are 14-0 for the first time since 1993-94. UCLA and Clemson (15-0) are the nation's only unbeaten teams.
Sasa Cuic and Marcel Jones scored 13 points each for the Beavers (8-7, 0-2), who have lost 27 of their last 33 meetings against the Bruins.
"They fly around. They get to every spot needed," Jones said. "There is a reason they are the number one team in the country."
Getting a spark from the home crowd, the Beavers held a 15-11 lead midway through the first half. However, the Bruins used a 16-4 run to move in front for good.
"I believe we outplayed UCLA in the first half, but unfortunately we did not finish plays," Oregon State coach Jay John said. We had a number of opportunities missed."
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
UCLA (1) 36 35 71
OREGON ST 30 26 56 FINAL
Jan 5 12:05 AM
- NCAA BB
UCLA (1) 36
OREGON ST 30 HALFTIME
Jan 4 10:55 PM
- Michigan-UCLA basketball to play home-and-home series May 13
- Beavers bummed about early exit, but excited for the future Mar 19
- Payton II following in father's NCAA footsteps at Oregon St Mar 17
- UCLA guard Bryce Alford recovering from hit to jaw Mar 6
- Pac-12 says end of Washington-Oregon State handled properly Feb 25
- No. 11 Oregon State women grind out 61-47 win over Colorado Jan 24
- Oregon State Preview Capsule Oct 28
- Oregon State Beavers no longer the Pac-12 surprise Oct 28
- UCLA has deep, balanced team in Steve Alford's 3rd season Oct 28
- UCLA Preview Capsule Oct 28
- UCLA freshman Looney declares for NBA Draft Apr 6
- Gonzaga advances after pulling away from UCLA Mar 28