Appleby's shooting leads Washington past Arizona StateJan 7, 2007 - 5:45 AM SEATTLE (Ticker) -- Ryan Appleby had his shooting touch.
Appleby caught fire from long range and scored 20 points as No. 20 Washington stopped a three-game losing streak with a 64-53 Pac-10 Conference triumph over Arizona State.
Jon Brockman scored 13 of his 16 points in the second half for the Huskies (11-4, 1-3 Pac-10), who were methodical en route to their first conference win.
"I am glad we got a win in the books, we need to keep getting better," Washington coach Lorenzo Romar said.
Appleby led the way for Washington, connecting on 6-of-8 3-pointers and 7-of-10 shots overall. He drilled back-to-back shots from the arc to provide a 56-46 advantage with 2:18 remaining.
In the first half, Appleby scored 11 points and highly touted freshman Spencer Hawes had nine to help the Huskies to a narrow 31-28 advantage at the break.
The Sun Devils were unable to rally in the second half as they shot just 27 percent (7-of-26) over the final 20 minutes.
"I thought that once we got going most of their shots were contested perimeter shots," Romar said. "I thought that we did a much better job with our pressure as the game went on."
While the Huskies were able to return to the win column, the struggling Sun Devils (6-9, 0-4) lost their season-high fifth straight game.
Jeff Pendergraph scored 18 points to lead Arizona State, which dropped its 16th straight game against a ranked opponent.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
ARIZONA ST 28 25 53
WASHINGTON (20) 31 33 64 FINAL
Jan 6 10:01 PM
- NCAA BB
ARIZONA ST 28
WASHINGTON (20) 31 HALFTIME
Jan 6 8:48 PM
- Arizona State's Savon Goodman leaves the program Mar 24
- Washington's Murray, Chriss declare for NBA draft Mar 23
- Why Washington? ACC flexes muscles in big basketball market Mar 8
- Syracuse basketball rallies for ailing Dwayne Washington Mar 1
- Taylor leads No. 22 Utah over No. 9 Arizona 70-64 Feb 27
- Romar reprimanded by Pac-12 for comments after Huskies loss Feb 26
- Pac-12 says end of Washington-Oregon State handled properly Feb 25
- Arizona State's Spight leaves program, will transfer Feb 23
- Dubious record: Washington may see most players foul out Feb 9
- Andrews putting together star season for surprising Huskies Feb 2
- Iona's suspends Washington 2 games for slap Jan 17
- It's early but Washington the only undefeated team in Pac-12 Jan 13