Dowdell, Collins lead Virginia Tech in overtime vs. MarylandJan 22, 2007 - 3:56 AM BLACKSBURG, Virginia (Ticker) -- Zabian Dowdell led the way but it was Coleman Collins who sealed the deal in overtime.
Dowdell scored 19 points and Collins had a huge basket in the extra session as No. 25 Virginia Tech posted a 67-64 Atlantic Coast Conference victory over No. 22 Maryland.
Virginia Tech held a 65-62 lead in overtime when Collins made a follow shot with 1:11 remaining for a five-point advantage. After two free throws by D.J. Strawberry cut the deficit to 67-64, the Terrapins had a chance to reach a second overtime.
But instead of taking a tying 3-pointer, Mike Jones drove the lane with seven seconds left. His layup bounced off the rim and in the preceding scrum, the Hokies gained possession and ran out the clock.
Collins finished with 11 points, 14 rebounds and three blocks while Jamon Gordon had 16 points and seven boards for Virginia Tech (14-5, 4-1 ACC), which has won five of its last six games, including three over ranked opponnets.
Dowdell was 8-of-13 from the floor for the Hokies, who shot 40 percent (25-of-63) and improved to 10-0 at home.
Strawberry scored 16 points and Greivis Vasquez and Jones each had 12 for Maryland (15-5, 1-4), which has lost three of its last four games.
Maryland still holds a 25-6 lead in the all-time series against Virginia Tech.
- NCAA BB
FINAL IN 1ST OT 1ST 2ND 1OT TOTAL
--- --- --- -----
MARYLAND (22) 33 26 5 64
VIRGINIA TECH (25) 34 25 8 67 FINAL IN 1ST OT
Jan 21 9:57 PM
- NCAA BB
MARYLAND (22) 59
VIRGINIA TECH (25) 59 END 2ND HALF, GOING INTO OVERTIME
Jan 21 9:36 PM
- NCAA BB
MARYLAND (22) 33
VIRGINIA TECH (25) 34 HALFTIME
Jan 21 8:22 PM
- Maryland's Stone to sign agent, Trimble declares for draft Apr 11
- Maryland junior Robert Carter enters name in NBA draft Apr 7
- Virginia Tech grants sophomore guard Jalen Hudson release Apr 6
- Maryland's late-season fade leads into offseason of change Mar 25
- No. 5 Maryland outworked by top-seeded Kansas in Sweet 16 Mar 25
- Top-seeded Kansas expects battle from No. 5 Maryland Mar 24
- Maryland assumes underdog role against top-seeded Kansas Mar 22
- No. 13 seed Hawaii to play 4th-seeded Maryland Mar 19
- Jackrabbits seek 1st NCAA Tournament win Mar 17
- Fifth-seed Maryland enters NCAA Tournament lacking momentum Mar 15
- No. 14 Maryland stumbling toward the finish in Big Ten Mar 2
- Trimble and No. 10 Maryland hope 6-day break is beneficial Feb 26