Byers and Foster help Commodores take a bite out of GatorsFeb 17, 2007 - 11:23 PM NASHVILLE, Tennessee (Ticker) -- Derrick Byers and Shan Foster did not let Florida off the hook this time.
Byers and Foster each scored 24 points and Vanderbilt played a complete game to post a convincing 83-70 victory over No. 1 Florida in a Southeastern Conference matchup.
Vanderbilt (18-8, 8-4 SEC East) had not defeated the nation's No. 1 team since topping Kentucky on January 13, 1993. The Commodores missed their first chance to knock off top-ranked Florida on January 31.
The Commodores raced out to a 41-30 lead at the break in the first meeting but the Gators came out a different team in the second half, going on a 13-0 run and cruising to a 74-64 victory.
This time Vanderbilt opened up a 35-27 lead at the half and did not let up.
Florida did try to make a game of it, going on a 7-0 run to close within 46-40 on a pair of free throws by Horford with 14:08 to play.
But that was as close as the Gators would get and the Commodores pulled away. Byars extended the lead to 76-61 on a dunk with 3:20 remaining.
The Commodores hit 10 3-pointers, five in each half, and shot 57 percent (32-of-56) from the field overall. Foster made five shots from the arc while Byers was 11-of-19 from the floor and added eight assists and five steals.
Florida (24-3, 11-1 East) missed its chance to set a school record for consecutive victories as its 17-game winning streak - the nation's longest - was snapped.
Joakim Noah scored 15 points and Al Horford and Corey Brewer added 13 each for the Gators, who also lost out on a chance to clinch at least a share of the Southeastern Conference's East Division and the overall league title.
Florida also had its seven-game win streak against Vanderbilt ended.
- BrianDore This was a classic - not in the "down-to-the-wire" sense, but because of all of the extracorricular. The showdown on the baseline between Kevin Stallings and Joakim Noah - then the extraordinary display of basketball skill by Derrick Byars and Shan Foster.
The college basketball world deserves a rematch in Atlanta.
Florida vs. VanderbiltFeb 20 6:42 PM
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
FLORIDA (1) 27 43 70
VANDERBILT 35 48 83 FINAL
Feb 17 3:07 PM
- NCAA BB
FLORIDA (1) 27
VANDERBILT 35 HALFTIME
Feb 17 1:55 PM
- Virginia Tech guard Jalen Hudson transfers to Florida May 16
- Florida guard Francis-Ramirez transferring after 2 seasons May 4
- New Vanderbilt coach Bryce Drew announces his staff Apr 26
- Florida's Devin Robinson out 4-6 months after foot surgery Apr 21
- Vanderbilt junior center Damian Jones entering NBA Draft Apr 14
- Bryce Drew wants to be 1st to take Vanderbilt to Final 4 Apr 6
- Vandy sophomore guard Wade Baldwin IV entering NBA draft Apr 5
- Vanderbilt using Fogler, not search firm to find new coach Mar 28
- Florida guard Walker plans to transfer after graduation Mar 28
- Stallings gone, Vanderbilt to start search for new coach Mar 27
- After 17 seasons, Stallings' future at Vanderbilt in doubt Mar 16
- Florida's Egbunu to have season-ending thumb surgery Mar 15