Devendorf, Syracuse sweep Black Coaches Association InvitationalNov 13, 2006 - 1:27 AM SYRACUSE, New York (Ticker) -- Syracuse invited three teams to the Carrier Dome and sent each of them packing without party favors.
Eric Devendorf scored 19 points as the 20th-ranked Orange posted a 83-69 victory over UTEP to complete a sweep of the Black Coaches Association Invitational.
Syracuse (3-0) won its three games in the round-robin tournament by an average of 21 points. In Sunday's victory, the Orange shot 46 percent (24-of-52) and outscored the Miners, 30-13, at the foul line.
Devendorf had a strong all-around game, making 6-of-11 shots from the field, including 2-of-4 from the arc. The crafty sophomore knocked down all five of his free throws and also had eight rebounds and five assists.
Matt Gorman, the lone remaining member of Syracuse's 2003 championship team, scored 12 points off the bench. Demetris Nichols added 12 points, freshman Paul Harris 11 and Josh Wright and Darryl Watkins 10 apiece for the Orange.
Stefon Jackson and Darren Clarke led the Miners with 17 points apiece. Malik Alvin added 11 for UTEP (2-1), which shot under 32 percent (23-of-72) from the floor.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Syracuse's Malachi Richardson all-in for NBA draft May 17
- Syracuse frosh Malachi Richardson to enter name in NBA draft Apr 18
- Syracuse reserve center Chinonso Obokoh transferring Apr 7
- Syracuse guard Kaleb Joseph transferring Apr 5
- Syracuse's Boeheim scoffs at idea that it was rough season Apr 3
- Correction: Final Four-Syracuse story Apr 3
- UNC, Syracuse vastly different but familiar Final Four foes Apr 2
- Double-digit not Cinderella for Syracuse; UNC last No. 1 Mar 31
- Syracuse rides improbable run to Final Four Mar 28
- Virginia knocking on door for Final Four Mar 27
- Judge tosses suit by ex-Syracuse coach's wife against ESPN Mar 26
- Gonzaga taking on Syracuse's vaunted zone in Sweet 16 Mar 25