Nelson leads Duke into championship game of CBE ClassicNov 21, 2006 - 2:10 AM KANSAS CITY, Missouri (Ticker) -- DeMarcus Nelson's junior season is off to a flying start.
Nelson scored 23 points as eighth-ranked Duke took control early and advanced to the championship game of the CBE Classic with a 71-56 victory over Air Force.
Following the departures of J.J. Redick and Shelden Williams among others, Nelson has been called on by coach Mike Krzyzewski to pick up some of the scoring slack this season.
Nelson has done the job to this point, leading the team in scoring at 15.2 points through four games.
On Monday, Nelson scored 10 points in a hot-shooting first half that helped the Blue Devils (4-0) build a 38-24 lead at the break. Nelson made 7-of-10 shots.
"I'm very confident in my shot," said Nelson, who also had three steals. "We have five unselfish guys. My play might be to take the shot or to make the extra pass."
Duke, which never trailed, shot a blistering 74 percent (17-of-23) in the opening 20 minutes and 61 percent (25-of-41) overall.
"They played well," Krzyzewski said. "We played well. We were fortunate we won. They are going to make some noise this year, no question about it."
Freshman Lance Thomas added 15 points for Duke, which will meet No. 17 Marquette in Tuesday's title game.
Jacob Burtschi and Nick Welch scored 12 points apiece for the Falcons (4-1), who had won each of their first four games by double digits.
After the Falcons drew within 43-35 with 15:38 remaining, Nelson and freshman Jon Scheyer nailed 3-pointers as the Blue Devils rebuilt the lead to double digits. They cruised thereafter.
Air Force will face Texas Tech on Tuesday.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Krzyzewski has hernia surgery, expects to be healthy for Rio May 9
- Duke's Grayson Allen has hernia surgery Apr 22
- Duke's Jefferson receives medical hardship waiver Apr 22
- Duke freshman guard Derryck Thornton to transfer Apr 10
- Grayson Allen to return to Duke for junior season Apr 6
- Duke's Brandon Ingram declares for NBA Draft after 1 season Apr 4
- Duke: Coach K recovering from knee replacement surgery Apr 3
- Duke ends with longer-than-expected NCAA run, short bench Mar 25
- Duke's title defense ends with 82-68 loss to Oregon Mar 25
- Oregon takes the national stage against defending champ Duke Mar 23
- Defending champ Duke, upstart Yale ready for 2nd round clash Mar 18
- It's David vs. Goliath when UNC Wilmington meets Duke Mar 17