James leads Marquette past Duke in CBE finalNov 22, 2006 - 5:57 AM KANSAS CITY, Missouri (Ticker) -- Sophomore Dominic James was nearly a one-man wrecking crew.
James scored 25 points en route to being named tournament MVP as 17th-ranked Marquette posted a 73-62 victory over No. 8 Duke in the championship game of the CBE Classic.
Jerel McNeal added 17 points for the Golden Eagles, who snapped the Blue Devils' 10-game winning streak against ranked non-conference opponents.
The teams played even for most of the contest until James, the reigning Big East Rookie of the Year, sparked an 11-0 run to put Marquette ahead for good.
With 5:41 to go, James sank two foul shots for a 60-58 edge, and after a free throw by Wesley Matthews, James drilled a 3-pointer and converted a jumper for a three-point play for a 67-58 cushion with 3:56 left.
The Golden Eagles (6-0) played comfortably in front from thereon.
Josh McRoberts scored 15 points and DeMarcus Nelson added 13 for the Blue Devils (4-1), who shot just 35 percent (20-of-57) from the floor.
Marquette held a 34-32 edge at halftime.
The Golden Eagles forced 19 turnovers en route to improving to 2-4 all-time against the Blue Devils. They also held the Blue Devils to 33 percent (9-of-27) shooting in the closing half.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Krzyzewski has hernia surgery, expects to be healthy for Rio May 9
- Duke's Grayson Allen has hernia surgery Apr 22
- Duke's Jefferson receives medical hardship waiver Apr 22
- Marquette guard Wally Ellenson leaving basketball team Apr 21
- Duke freshman guard Derryck Thornton to transfer Apr 10
- Grayson Allen to return to Duke for junior season Apr 6
- Marquette freshman Henry Ellenson declares for NBA draft Apr 5
- Duke's Brandon Ingram declares for NBA Draft after 1 season Apr 4
- Duke: Coach K recovering from knee replacement surgery Apr 3
- Duke ends with longer-than-expected NCAA run, short bench Mar 25
- Duke's title defense ends with 82-68 loss to Oregon Mar 25
- Oregon takes the national stage against defending champ Duke Mar 23