Boggan, Oklahoma State cruise past Ball StateDec 10, 2006 - 2:16 AM SAN DIEGO (Ticker) -- Apparently, a cross-country trip didn't affect Mario Boggan's shooting stroke.
Boggan scored 24 points and JamesOn Curry battled through a tough shooting night to add 11 as 24th-ranked Oklahoma State cruised to a 75-56 victory over Ball State in the San Diego Slam.
Terrel Harris and David Monds scored 10 points apiece for the Cowboys (11-0), who shot 50 percent (26-of-52) from the field and 10-of-21 from the arc.
"We've still got some things to work on but we are getting better," Harris said. "We're better at this point than we were last year and we're better than we were last game. We've just got to learn how to keep our intensity up and play the same every game."
On Tuesday, Boggan scored 21 points as Oklahoma State posted a 72-68 victory over Syracuse in the Jimmy V Classic at Madison Square Garden. Four days and 3,000 miles later, the 6-7 senior shot 10-of-14 from the floor and 2-of-2 on 3-pointers.
"I don't really look to shoot that much, but if I get an open chance to knock down a long shot, then I'll take the shot," Boggan said. "I just try to get into a rhythm."
"At our second timeout, I introduced (Boggan) back to the players and they did a better job looking for him after that," Oklahoma State coach Sean Sutton said. "That's one thing about this team, they're not selfish. They understand their roles, and they understand that (Boggan) can score about as well as anybody in the Big 12."
After netting 20 points, including a pivotal 3-pointer down the stretch against the Orange, Curry was just 3-of-11 from the field and 3-of-10 from the arc on Saturday.
"We talked a lot after the Syracuse game about how good teams move forward," Sutton said. "I told them on Wednesday that it was a good win, but now our focus and attention turns to Ball State. I thought our players had a lot of respect for (Ball State) before the game."
Julien Mills scored 15 points for the Cardinals (3-6), who shot 37.5 percent (18-of-48).
"I thought that there was progress," Ball State coach Ronny Thompson said. "We made them deal with us, as opposed to us just being here for happy time. I was proud of that. They came out and knocked down some shots and did the things you need to do to win. You can't take anything away from them, they're good."
- SAN DIEGO SLAM
AT SAN DIEGO CA
NCAA BB SAN DIEGO SLAM
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
OKLAHOMA ST (24) 35 40 75
BALL ST 23 33 56 FINAL
Dec 9 8:59 PM
- SAN DIEGO SLAM
AT SAN DIEGO CA
NCAA BB OKLAHOMA ST (24) 35
BALL ST 23 HALFTIME
Dec 9 7:51 PM
- Oklahoma Stare adds Gentry to basketball coaching staff May 11
- Oklahoma State introduces new coach Underwood Mar 23
- Oklahoma St. hires SFA's Brad Underwood as men's hoops coach Mar 22
- Oklahoma State to 'part ways' with basketball coach Ford Mar 18
- Oklahoma State coach Ford ejected from son's game Dec 11
- Ball State hangs on to beat Valparaiso 69-66 Nov 28
- Oklahoma State G Forte out with arm injury vs George Mason Nov 20
- Oklahoma State at a glance Oct 28
- Oklahoma State G Evans has star potential Oct 28
- Young advances Oregon past Oklahoma State Mar 20
- Pokes and Ducks duke it out in NCAA Tournament action Mar 20
- No. 15 Oklahoma holds off Oklahoma State Mar 13