Humphrey's hot shooting helps FloridaDec 18, 2006 - 3:52 AM ST. PETERSBURG, Florida (Ticker) -- Even a shorthanded Florida squad had no trouble keeping its perfect mark against the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference intact.
Lee Humphrey scored 15 points as the fifth-ranked Gators overcame the absence of Al Horford and limited contributions from Corey Brewer to post a 72-57 victory over Florida A&M.
With leading scorer Horford out due to a serious ankle sprain and Brewer - the team's top defensive player - appearing in limited minutes as he made his return from mononucleosis, Florida (9-2) overcame 44 percent (25-of-57) shooting to improve to 16-0 against teams from the MEAC, including 8-0 vs. Florida A&M.
Florida coach Billy Donovan accomplished a milestone with the win, tying Norm Sloan for the school's all-time lead in wins. In his 11th season with the Gators, Donovan is 235-100. Sloan needed 15 seasons over two stints with the school to set the mark.
Humphrey sank 4-of-9 3-pointers and scored 14 points in the first half as the Gators grabbed a 46-29 lead at intermission.
Dan Werner added all nine of his points in the opening 20 minutes. The freshman forward, who also handed out five assists, entered the contest averaging 2.7 points.
Playing just 12 minutes, Brewer had three points on 1-of-3 shooting. The 6-9 junior had missed the previous three games.
Joakim Noah scored seven points, grabbed 17 rebounds and blocked six shots for Florida, which used 12 rejections to hold Florida A&M to 33 percent (22-of-66) shooting.
Taurean Green and Walter Hodge finished with 11 points apiece for the Gators, who will have two days off to get healthy before hosting Stetson on Wednesday.
Leslie Robinson scored 11 points and Brian Greene 10 for the Rattlers (5-6), who had a four-game winning streak snapped.
- AT ST PETERSBURG FL
NCAA BB FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
FLORIDA A&M 29 28 57
FLORIDA (5) 46 26 72 FINAL
Dec 17 7:55 PM
- AT ST PETERSBURG FL
NCAA BB FLORIDA A&M 29
FLORIDA (5) 46 HALFTIME
Dec 17 6:50 PM
- Virginia Tech guard Jalen Hudson transfers to Florida May 16
- Florida guard Francis-Ramirez transferring after 2 seasons May 4
- Florida's Devin Robinson out 4-6 months after foot surgery Apr 21
- Florida guard Walker plans to transfer after graduation Mar 28
- Florida's Egbunu to have season-ending thumb surgery Mar 15
- Florida's Egbunu uncertain to play against UNF in NIT Mar 14
- Florida C Egbunu tears thumb ligament before SEC Tournament Mar 9
- Florida trying to rebuild NCAA resume at SEC Tournament Mar 7
- February freefall leaves Florida in need of Kentucky win Feb 29
- With road stretch looming, Florida needs to win at home Feb 8
- Florida likely without starter Justin Leon vs No. 9 WVU Jan 29
- Florida takes pressure off Finney-Smith to be more vocal Jan 18