Whittington, Marist hand Oklahoma State rare home lossMar 14, 2007 - 7:06 AM STILLWATER, Oklahoma (Ticker) -- Will Whittington and Marist picked a great time to conquer the odds.
Whittington scored 31 points and Ryan Stilphen added 16 and seven rebounds as the seventh-seeded Red Foxes pulled off a huge upset in the first round of the National Invitation Tournament with a 67-64 victory over second-seeded Oklahoma State.
They will face North Carolina State in the second round on Friday.
Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference Player of the Year Jared Jordan collected nine points, eight assists and seven rebounds for Marist (25-8), which won the MAAC's regular-season title but was upset by rival Siena in the semifinals of the conference tournament.
But the Red Foxes made the most of their appearance in one of most hostile environments in the nation - Gallagher-Iba Arena. Their win was just the third by a non-conference opponent in Stillwater in the last 140 games.
Marist also made school history, notching the first postseason victory for the program. The Red Foxes were 0-2 in the NCAA Tournament.
Now 16th on the NCAA's career 3-pointers list, Whittington was 8-of-20 from the field, including 5-of-13 from the arc, and 10-of-10 from the free-throw line.
Mario Boggan and Obi Muonelo scored 12 points apiece for the Cowboys (22-13), who shot 45 percent (21-of-47).
- NIT EAST REGION
NCAA BB NIT EAST REGION
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
MARIST 37 30 67
OKLAHOMA ST 26 38 64 FINAL
Mar 14 12:11 AM
- NIT EAST REGION
NCAA BB (7) MARIST 37
(2) OKLAHOMA ST 26 HALFTIME
Mar 13 10:53 PM
- Oklahoma Stare adds Gentry to basketball coaching staff May 11
- Oklahoma State introduces new coach Underwood Mar 23
- Oklahoma St. hires SFA's Brad Underwood as men's hoops coach Mar 22
- Oklahoma State to 'part ways' with basketball coach Ford Mar 18
- Oklahoma State coach Ford ejected from son's game Dec 11
- Oklahoma State G Forte out with arm injury vs George Mason Nov 20
- Oklahoma State at a glance Oct 28
- Oklahoma State G Evans has star potential Oct 28
- Young advances Oregon past Oklahoma State Mar 20
- Pokes and Ducks duke it out in NCAA Tournament action Mar 20
- No. 15 Oklahoma holds off Oklahoma State Mar 13
- Cowboys and Sooners square off in Big 12 Tournament Mar 12