Late surge propels Kansas State past VermontMar 15, 2007 - 2:51 AM MANHATTAN, Kansas (Ticker) -- Vermont picked a bad time to go cold.
Cartier Martin scored 19 points and second-seeded Kansas State scored the final nine points of the game to overtake the Catamounts, 59-57, in a National Invitation Tournament West Region first-round game.
The Wildcats (23-11) trailed, 57-50, with 5:08 to play but held seventh-seeded Vermont scoreless the rest of the way.
Blake Young made a pair of free throws with 2:15 left to tie the score at 57-57 and David Hoskins scored the go-ahead basket on a layup with 33 seconds to play.
The Catamounts (25-8), the regular-season champions of America East, had two chances to tie or win, but Colin McIntosh missed a jumper in the lane with 10 seconds to play and Mike Trimboli's 3-pointer at the buzzer was off the mark.
Hoskins had 13 points and Akeem Wright added 12 and eight rebounds for Kansas State, which will host third-seeded DePaul on Monday in a second-round game.
Martin Klimes scored 16 points and Chris Holm had 10 and 14 rebounds for Vermont, which committed 20 turnovers.
- NIT WEST REGION
NCAA BB NIT WEST REGION
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
VERMONT 26 31 57
KANSAS ST 28 31 59 FINAL
Mar 14 9:59 PM
- NIT WEST REGION
NCAA BB (7) VERMONT 26
(2) KANSAS ST 28 HALFTIME
Mar 14 8:52 PM
- Kansas State freshman Freeman transferring to Florida juco Apr 12
- Vermont basketball player suspended for reselling textbooks Dec 24
- New-look Wildcats have same lofty expectations this season Oct 28
- Kansas State at a glance Oct 28
- K-State's Foster dismissed from basketball program Mar 24
- Iwundu, Kansas State upset No. 12 Iowa State Mar 1
- Wildcats play host to 12th-ranked Cyclones Feb 28
- K-State AD offers apology after court storming Feb 24
- K-State topples No. 8 Kansas Feb 24
- Sunflower State showdown pits Jayhawks against Wildcats Feb 23
- Baylor pulls away from Kansas State Feb 21
- Kansas State comes calling on No. 20 Baylor Feb 21