Heath lifts San Diego State over Missouri StateMar 15, 2007 - 5:56 AM SPRINGFIELD, Missouri (Ticker) -- San Diego State's best player delivered the biggest shot when it counted most.
Brandon Heath scored 26 points, including a tiebreaking 3-pointer with seven seconds to play, to lift the sixth-seeded Aztecs to a 74-70 victory over third-seeded Missouri State in a first-round matchup in the National Invitation Tournament.
The winning shot by Heath broke a scoring drought of over three minutes and sent San Diego State (22-10) into a second-round South Region matchup at second-seeded Syracuse on Monday.
Trailing, 40-32, less than three minutes into the second half, the Bears (22-11) rallied with a 28-14 spurt to take a 60-54 lead with just under 7 1/2 minutes to play.
Heath answered with a 3-pointer to trigger a 13-2 spurt and give the Aztecs a 67-62 advantage, setting the stage for the dramatic finish.
Mohamed Abukar scored 15 points for San Diego State, which shot 52 percent (27-of-52) to help offset 23 turnovers.
Deven Mitchell had 16 points and Blake Ahearn and Drew Richards added 15 apiece for Missouri State.
- NIT SOUTH REGION
NCAA BB NIT SOUTH REGION
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
SAN DIEGO ST 34 40 74
MISSOURI ST 29 41 70 FINAL
Mar 15 12:12 AM
- NIT SOUTH REGION
NCAA BB (6) SAN DIEGO ST 34
(3) MISSOURI ST 29 HALFTIME
Mar 14 10:53 PM
- Playing in the Garden nice consolation prize for Aztecs Mar 25
- Fisher's Aztecs looking for 7th straight NCAA tourney berth Mar 9
- SDSU tops San Jose State 78-56 to clinch share of MWC title Feb 21
- San Diego St. 9-0 at halfway point of Mountain West schedule Feb 1
- San Diego State says basketball program cleared by NCAA Jan 5
- Hagins scores 14 as Little Rock stuns San Diego St. 49-43 Nov 21
- Cheatham brings 'good energy' to Fisher's Aztecs Nov 4
- It's now Steve Fisher Court at San Diego State Oct 29
- Duke crushes San Diego State to reach Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Blue Devils battle Aztecs in South Regional action Mar 22
- San Diego State holds off St. John's to advance Mar 21
- Red Storm tangle with Aztecs in South Region Mar 20