Jordan and Jones help Texas A&M cruise past Oral RobertsNov 14, 2007 - 5:56 AM COLLEGE STATION, Texas (Ticker) -- The combination of freshman Deandre Jordan and senior Joseph Jones spelled success for Texas A&M.
Jordan scored 11 of his 12 points in the first half and Jones scored 13 as the No. 15 Aggies posted a 67-53 victory over Oral Roberts in the NIT Season Tip-Off tournament on Tuesday.
Josh Carter scored 10 of his 15 points in the second half for the Aggies (2-0), who next face Texas-El Paso on Wednesday for the right to advance to New York for the semifinals on November 21.
"(Texas-El Paso) are a very good team that has excellent guards," Jones said. "They will be a tough match up for us (Wednesday)."
The 7-0, 255-pound Jordan, rated as the best Texas high school player last season, shot 5-of-5 from the floor in the first half. Jones wasn't too shabby either, as the 6-9, 255-pound senior was 3-of-6 from the floor and 3-of-4 from the free-throw line. His 10 points helped the Aggies to a 37-17 lead at the half.
"The last couple of games we've come out real slow," Jones said. "Tonight we focused on coming out better. Coach stressed that all week."
The duo helped Texas A&M shoot 43 percent while holding Oral Roberts to just 26 percent before the second half.
"I was pleased tonight," Texas A&M coach Mark Turgeon said. "We did a great job defensively. We took a very explosive offense and held them to seventeen first half points.
"I know how good (Oral Roberts) is and how good they are coached. I'm very relieved to be through with this game."
Carter made all four of his second-half shots for the Aggies, who are 8-4 all-time vs. the Golden Eagles, including 5-1 in College Station.
"I was getting great screens from my teammates," Carter said. "They expect me to make shots and I was able to do that tonight."
Adam Liberty scored 13 points and Robert Jarvis scored 12, but he was just 4-of-19 from the field for Oral Roberts (1-1), which beat Texas A&M in the only other meeting between the schools.
"We got beat by a very good basketball team tonight," Oral Roberts coach Scott Sutton said. "They showed why they are a top 15 team and maybe should be higher."
- NIT SEASON TIP-OFF
NCAA BB NIT SEASON TIP-OFF
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
ORAL ROBERTS 17 36 53
TEXAS A&M (15) 37 30 67 FINAL
Nov 13 11:03 PM
- NIT SEASON TIP-OFF
NCAA BB ORAL ROBERTS 17
(15) TEXAS A&M 37 HALFTIME
Nov 13 10:01 PM
- No chance for a wild comeback for Aggies in 77-63 loss to OU Mar 25
- Hield, Sooners face former Big 12 foes Aggies in Sweet 16 Mar 24
- House leading the party at Texas A&M into Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Texas A&M downs N Iowa with historic last-minute comeback Mar 21
- Experienced Panthers eager to carry momentum forward Mar 19
- Texas A&M aims for respect in first NCAA tourney since 2011 Mar 17
- Texas A&M announces new 5-year deal for coach Billy Kennedy Mar 12
- S. Dakota St. rallies to beat ORU in Summit League tourney Mar 6
- Texas A&M rolling toward NCAA tourney after 4-year absence Jan 20
- Washington's Scott Woodward named AD at Texas A&M Jan 8
- Texas A&M athletic director Hyman steps down after 4 years Jan 5
- Podkowa helps No. 18 DePaul women top No. 15 Texas A&M 80-66 Dec 12