Abrams leads Texas in rout of UC DavisNov 17, 2007 - 5:12 AM AUSTIN, Texas (Ticker) -- After one game, A.J. Abrams got his groove back.
Abrams scored 21 points as No. 16 Texas posted a 73-42 rout of UC Davis at first the annual 2007 Legends Classic on Friday.
Connor Atchley scored 11 points and D.J. Augustin added 10 for the Longhorns (2-0), who led by just six at halftime before outscoring the Aggies, 38-13, in the second half.
"We lost points by the Aggies offensive rebounding in the first half," Texas coach Rick Barnes said. "However, in the second we went zone early to see how they'd respond and it ended up being pretty good for us."
Texas will next play Arkansas-Monticello in a second round regional on Sunday. The winner advances to the championship rounds which will be held next week in Newark, New Jersey.
Abrams, who set a Big 12 record with 120 3-pointers last season, had just 11 points on 3-of-10 shooting in a 58-37 win vs. Texas-San Antonio on Monday. However, the 5-10 junior connected on 9-of-15 from the floor, including 3-of-7 from 3-point range, as Texas won its 13th-straight home game against non-conference opponents.
"I worked a lot on my midrange game," Abrams said. "We did a lot of drills and during practice I would put myself in game-type situations where I had to finish big shots. I worked a lot on penetrating and having to finish over my defender."
Damion James scored all of his nine points in the second half for the Longhorns, who shot 55 percent (30-of-55) while drilling 7-of-15 from the arc.
"We're still finding our way, but I do think we have some strength in numbers," Barnes said.
Shane Hanson, who had 12 points, was the only player for UC Davis (0-2) to score in double figures.
"Texas was everything we thought they would be," UC Davis coach Gary Stewart said. "They're difficult to handle in transition and they are a well-coached ball club. I have to give them a lot of credit."
The Aggies, who are experiencing their first season as a member of Division I, shot just 30 percent (13-of-43).
- LEGENDS CLASSIC
NCAA BB LEGENDS CLASSIC
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
UC DAVIS 29 13 42
TEXAS (16) 35 38 73 FINAL
Nov 16 9:38 PM
- LEGENDS CLASSIC
NCAA BB UC DAVIS 29
(16) TEXAS 35 HALFTIME
Nov 16 8:41 PM
- UC Davis hires Stanford's Kevin Blue as athletic director May 16
- Texas guard Isaiah Taylor skipping senior year for NBA Apr 21
- Jesperson's halfcourt shot puts Northern Iowa past Texas Mar 19
- First-year Texas coach Smart no longer the underdog Mar 17
- Texas hoping Shaka Smart can spark tournament success Mar 16
- Texas' Ridley closer to return, status for Big 12 unclear Mar 7
- Texas Western returns to scene of '66 NCAA win over Kentucky Feb 13
- Texas lurking near top of Big 12 as 'havoc' takes hold Feb 12
- UTEP honors Texas Western's historic title 50 years later Feb 6
- Texas Western celebrating historic title 50 years later Feb 4
- Texas says no evidence of academic misconduct Jan 13
- Longhorns: Swingman Jordan Barnett asks to transfer Jan 12